The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shooting foul or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84798-shooting-foul-not.html)

The R Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:09am

Shooting foul or not?

BJV game today A2 sets a legal screen on B1. Open A1 catches the pass just inside the arch and begins to shoot. B1 pushes A2 into A1 before he returns to the floor. A1 misses the shot.

I whistled a foul on B1 and put A1 on the line for 2 free throws even though B1 never actually contacted A1.

Correct ruling?

APG Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:13am

B1 did not illegally contact A1, he illegally contacted A2. So no you did not get it correct.

VaTerp Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:15am

No.

If in the bonus then A2 is shooting.

If you deemed it egregious enough then an intentional foul would be warranted and again A2 is your shooter.

APG Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:17am

Interestingly enough if you were working an NBA game, you would have had it correct.

Under the NBA rule set, if B1 pushes A2 into A1 and the shot is unsuccessful, then A1 is awarded two shots...if A1 makes the shot, then A2 is awarded one free throw.

So you were correct under ONE rule set! ;):D

stiffler3492 Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:20am

A similar play happened in a recent college game I was watching. A1 is going up for a layup along the end line. A2 is standing at about the block. B1 pushes A2 into the path of A1. A1 makes the shot, and goes to the line for the free throw.

I don't believe Team A was in the bonus at the time, so they should have counted the basket, then given the ball to Team A, designated spot throw in?

JRutledge Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 806776)
A similar play happened in a recent college game I was watching. A1 is going up for a layup along the end line. A2 is standing at about the block. B1 pushes A2 into the path of A1. A1 makes the shot, and goes to the line for the free throw.

I don't believe Team A was in the bonus at the time, so they should have counted the basket, then given the ball to Team A, designated spot throw in?

They sent A1 to the line? And they did not count the basket?

Peace

Toren Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The R (Post 806766)
BJV game today A2 sets a legal screen on B1. Open A1 catches the pass just inside the arch and begins to shoot. B1 pushes A2 into A1 before he returns to the floor. A1 misses the shot.

I whistled a foul on B1 and put A1 on the line for 2 free throws even though B1 never actually contacted A1.

Correct ruling?

Did the coach argue this ruling? or did it pretty much go unnoticed?

constable Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The R (Post 806766)

Correct ruling?

nope.

if the bucket went in, count it. designated spot throw in for the common foul.

Adam Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:44am

I'd be awfully tempted to go with an intentional on this one. Pushing an opponent into an airborne teammate is dangerous.

The R Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:48am

Camo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toren (Post 806779)
Did the coach argue this ruling? or did it pretty much go unnoticed?

Team B coach protested that A2 was moving during the screen. I said yes he was because B1 was pushing him with both hands. He said Yea thats his 3rd foul I had to try.

But that was it. Nothing about the ruling.

stiffler3492 Wed Dec 21, 2011 01:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 806778)
They sent A1 to the line? And they did not count the basket?

Peace

Yes, they sent A1 to the line. And they DID count the basket.

mbyron Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 806784)
nope.

if the bucket went in, count it. designated spot throw in for the common foul.

It depends, and the OP does not answer this question.

If the shot had not been released at the time of the foul, the ball would be dead immediately, as it was not the airborne shooter who was fouled (6-7-7). If the shot has been released, then the basket counts (6-7 EXCEPTION a).

bob jenkins Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 806952)

If the shot had not been released at the time of the foul, the ball would be dead immediately, as it was not the airborne shooter who was fouled (6-7-7). If the shot has been released, then the basket counts (6-7 EXCEPTION a).

The foul was by the defense, so continuous motion applies, even if it's someone other than the shooter who gets fouled.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 806952)

Not true. Continuous motion.

The shot has to be in the air if TEAM A fouls.

TimTaylor Thu Dec 22, 2011 02:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 806792)
I'd be awfully tempted to go with an intentional on this one. Pushing an opponent into an airborne teammate is dangerous.

That was my thought as well...