The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA Flagrant Foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84791-ncaa-flagrant-foul.html)

chseagle Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:31pm

NCAA Flagrant Foul

Watching BYU vs. Buffalo on BYUtv, Buffalo player was just outside RA when a BYU player tries going past him from behind. The Buffalo player's elbow ended up making contact with the BYU player's chest, causing displacement.

The ruling after a monitor review was that the Buffalo player was charged with what the announcers called a Flagrant 1 Foul. The Buffalo player was not ejected.

BYU shot 2 free throws & the ball was inbounded tableside.

Why in the NCAA is there a Flagrant 1 Foul (no ejection) & a Flagrant 2 Foul (ejection)?

kgeorge0263 Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:43pm

Flagrant 1 is now Intentional Foul

In college basketball they re-named the intentional foul a flagrant 1. So same penalty as former intentional foul, just re-named.

Rules panel approves restricted-area arc for Division I - NCAA.org

APG Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 806709)

Why in the NCAA is there a Flagrant 1 Foul (no ejection) & a Flagrant 2 Foul (ejection)?

The clear up the misconception that an intentional foul required intent...plus it's language that is similar to the NBA thus making it easier for fans.

chseagle Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 806720)
The clear up the misconception that an intentional foul required intent...plus it's language that is similar to the NBA thus making it easier for fans.

Why make things easier on the laymen fans when they seem to not care about the rules? :rolleyes::eek:

APG Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 806729)
Why make things easier on the laymen fans when they seem to not care about the rules? :rolleyes::eek:

It also makes it easier for players and coaches. No need to explain to the coach that an intentional foul doesn't have to involve intent....just tell him you have a FF1 for a high elbow.

chseagle Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 806729)

The above of course was a joke

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 806740)
It also makes it easier for players and coaches. No need to explain to the coach that an intentional foul doesn't have to involve intent....just tell him you have a FF1 for a high elbow.

A very logical explanation, however how many players actually study the rule book? How many coaches?

That's what the officials ruled after doing the monitor review.

The way the announcers stated it, was as if they were talking to a community of Ph.Ds in Basketballology. You would think they would have explained it in simpler terms for the average sports fan.

JRutledge Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 806746)

A very logical explanation, however how many players actually study the rule book? How many coaches?

The way the announcers stated it, was as if they were talking to a community of Ph.Ds in Basketballology. You would think they would have explained it in simpler terms for the average sports fan.

They do not have to study the rules. All they know is what they see on TV and think it applies to their level when it clearly does not. That is why you have people wanting BI for slapping the backboard even though the rules that never applies but in the NBA.

Peace

APG Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:56pm

Quote:

Which is why the change in nomenclature...if fans, players, and coaches studied the rules like we did, then they'd know that intentional fouls don't necessarily involve intent. But of course they don't and why the NCAA felt the name change was needed.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind the name change at the NFHS level because I've seen too many officials somehow misconstrue that all intentional fouls involve intent.

JRutledge Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 806761)
Which is why the change in nomenclature...if fans, players, and coaches studied the rules like we did, then they'd know that intentional fouls don't necessarily involve intent. But of course they don't and why the NCAA felt the name change was needed.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't mind the name change at the NFHS level because I've seen too many officials somehow misconstrue that all intentional fouls involve intent.

I have always advocated for the language to change. I am glad it did at the college level. Something tells me it will be some time or never for the NF to change the wording. Then again anything is possible.

Peace

Raymond Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:16am

Quote:

Many teams receive brief rules clinics from NCAA officials in conjunction with preseason scrimmages.