The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Xavier (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84636-xavier.html)

26 Year Gap Sun Dec 18, 2011 06:01pm

Xavier

The suspended players were able to sit on the bench today. Not really much of a suspension if they are a part of things IMO.

jmwking Sun Dec 18, 2011 07:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 805922)
The suspended players were able to sit on the bench today. Not really much of a suspension if they are a part of things IMO.

They got to watch their team go down in flames, knowing their responsibility. That counts for something.

JRutledge Sun Dec 18, 2011 09:07pm

Quote:

Suspended players almost always get to watch their team play on the bench at that level. I do not think anyone controls who can or cannot sit on the bench.

Peace

twocentsworth Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:32pm

Quote:

What?

They DIDN'T play!.....Whaddaya want - they have to stay in their room w/ no TV or dinner tonight?

Raymond Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 805967)
What?

They DIDN'T play!.....Whaddaya want - they have to stay in their room w/ no TV or dinner tonight?

Was Xavier on the road? If so, the players who were on the bench were those whose suspension will end during the road trip. Any player who suspension lasts the duration of the road trip is not allowed to travel with the team as the university can only provide or pay for travel for eligible players.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 805970)
Was Xavier on the road? If so, the players who were on the bench were those whose suspension will end during the road trip. Any player who suspension lasts the duration of the road trip is not allowed to travel with the team as the university can only provide or pay for travel for eligible players.

They lost at home to Oral Roberts. LOL! :D

They leave for Hawaii on Monday morning, so it will be interesting to see who's sitting on the bench Thursday night.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 805967)
What?

I believe he said it's not really much of a suspension if they are a part of things. He wants the penalty to fit the infraction. That's his opinion, to which is is entitled.

twocentsworth Tue Dec 20, 2011 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 805975)

They leave for Hawaii on Monday morning, so it will be interesting to see who's sitting on the bench Thursday night.

by NCAA rule, only those players eligible to play (academic, discipline, or other) are allowed to travel. If a currently ineligible player will become eligible during the trip (i.e. a 2 game suspension allows him to play in game 3 of the trip), he may travel with the team to play in the first contest he is eligible during said trip.

letemplay Wed Dec 21, 2011 09:48am

Egos

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmwking (Post 805928)
They got to watch their team go down in flames, knowing their responsibility. That counts for something.

The suspended players MAY feel they let their team down...they may also have the "see you can't win without me" syndrome. Still can't believe Holloway only got one game.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 806573)
by NCAA rule, only those players eligible to play (academic, discipline, or other) are allowed to travel. If a currently ineligible player will become eligible during the trip (i.e. a 2 game suspension allows him to play in game 3 of the trip), he may travel with the team to play in the first contest he is eligible during said trip.

Yes, BadNewsRef told us that several replies ago.

Adam Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 806931)
Yes, BadNewsRef told us that several replies ago.

No wonder I had some deja vu.

26 Year Gap Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 806934)
No wonder I had some deja vu.

Come again?

jdw3018 Wed Dec 21, 2011 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 805975)

My understanding is that all Xavier players will be eligible by the end of the tournament, so I'd expect all of them to be there.

BktBallRef Wed Dec 21, 2011 06:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 807034)
My understanding is that all Xavier players will be eligible by the end of the tournament, so I'd expect all of them to be there.

I don't think so.

"Xavier will still be without two of its starters for the Long Beach State game. Freshman Dezmine Wells (currently XU's third-leading scorer at 9.5 ppg.) will miss the entire tournament and junior Mark Lyons (17.4 ppg.) will miss the Long Beach State game only. Those games will complete the four-game and two-game suspensions, respectively, for Wells and Lyons."