The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Why do officials... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84409-why-do-officials.html)

Sapper33 Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:30am

Why do officials...

Wear the black jackets before games? I've asked this question to everyone I've worked with this year and noone has an answer. I asked my Area Supervisor and he didn't know. I'm just curious...:confused:

bainsey Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:33am

Because black is slimming.

letemplay Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:33am

It's after Labor Day:p

RookieDude Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:36am

...tradition.

Everybody else is jumping off the Empire State Building...so why not?

tref Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:40am

*ouch*

ref2coach Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapper33 (Post 805021)
Wear the black jackets before games? I've asked this question to everyone I've worked with this year and noone has an answer. I asked my Area Supervisor and he didn't know. I'm just curious...:confused:

Allows equipment suppliers an additional profit item to sell. Especially since it can be changed on the whim of a state or local supervisor who has a buddy that owns the "approved" official supply company. ;)

mbyron Thu Dec 15, 2011 02:18pm

Conceals the stripes, so they don't see us coming. Think of it as camo for officials.

Rich Thu Dec 15, 2011 02:42pm

I figure I wear the jacket for 30 minutes a night. It comes off during the introductions, spends a half at the table, and then gets carried back to the locker room (except for the handful of places that take the jackets back for us) folded and put into my bag.

I'd be more than happy to dispose of this tradition, personally.

Bad Zebra Thu Dec 15, 2011 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 805100)
I'd be more than happy to dispose of this tradition, personally.

+1.

Just another item that needs to be:
1. Purchased
2. Cared for.
3. Carried in an already overloaded bag.
4. ...and attended to after brief use (retireve, fold, launder, repeat)

Another one of those things we do without any discernable good reason. I used to think it was for the benefit of northern officials in a drafty gym, but I don't even think that's the case.

whistleone Thu Dec 15, 2011 03:04pm

It's commonplace for officials in our area to have a stamp with our name and state officiating ID number. Without the jacket, we'd have nowhere to put our stamp. Ah crap, our jackets are the official's version of a purse. :eek:

Rich Thu Dec 15, 2011 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 805107)
+1.

Just another item that needs to be:
1. Purchased
2. Cared for.
3. Carried in an already overloaded bag.
4. ...and attended to after brief use (retireve, fold, launder, repeat)

Another one of those things we do without any discernable good reason. I used to think it was for the benefit of northern officials in a drafty gym, but I don't even think that's the case.

I store the jacket inside out. When I take it off, I turn it inside out and zip it up -- it keeps dust from accumulating on the outside of the jacket. I *never* wash my officiating jacket since I only wear it pregame.

I do carry my needle in the pocket and when I'm the R probably use it 90% of the time, so maybe we do need it. :D

Smitty Thu Dec 15, 2011 03:58pm

My association does not want us to wear jackets. I think it looks sharper to wear a jacket, but I won't miss leaving it in the locker room and having to go back the next day to pick it up. At least once a season...

oldschool Thu Dec 15, 2011 04:33pm

I like it to warm me up a little or keep me warm during that famous 20 minutes

wfd21 Thu Dec 15, 2011 04:45pm

I wear mine so I have a place to keep my glasses to which I need to use, so I can see the numbers in the score book & so I can see to sign it!:eek:

Adam Thu Dec 15, 2011 05:05pm

Because they only let me wear my pink one for one week in January.