The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gotta Take a Ferry (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84341-gotta-take-ferry.html)

bainsey Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:58pm

Gotta Take a Ferry

I just found out a site listing for my Saturday games was erroneous. As it turns out, to get where we're going, my partner and I have an hour drive, plus a 20-minute (three mile) ferry ride to the island school. (There are three island high schools in Maine.) The school has my tickets waiting on the mainland.

This is a first for me, and I grew up in a little fishing village not far from these islands. Anyone else of shoreline locales get to do this?

Freddy Wed Dec 14, 2011 01:07pm

Iditarod Trail Guy

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 804672)
I just found out a site listing for my Saturday games was erroneous. As it turns out, to get where we're going, my partner and I have an hour drive, plus a 20-minute (three mile) ferry ride to the island school. (There are three island high schools in Maine.) The school has my tickets waiting on the mainland.

This is a first for me, and I grew up in a little fishing village not far from these islands. Anyone else of shoreline locales get to do this?

The guy you gotta get with is ShishmarefRef, formerly a regular contributor on this forum, though absent this year. He did games for the schools in the Bering Strait School District which meant flying to all the games outside his community. Google that school district and you'll find it interesting all the places he had to go. His uncle, I think it was, was the famous Herbie Nayukpuk ("The Shishmaref Cannonball"), veteran Iditarod musher from a generation ago.

Loudwhistle2 Wed Dec 14, 2011 01:10pm

Quote:

Yes,
Here in Southeast Alaska its one of our main modes of transportation. The teams are transported by ferry or jet or jet boat or small plane in some cases! Some officials travel right with the teams, makes it real cozy for some of the "unstable" coaches.

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 14, 2011 01:10pm

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale,
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The Referee was a mighty vet-ter-an,
The Umpire brave and sure.
Four passengers set sail that day
For a three mile tour, a three mile tour.

The weather started getting rough,
The tiny ferry tossed,
If not for the courage of the fearless crew
The refs would be lost, the refs would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle
With bainsey
His Umpire too,
Their Fox 40s and their stripes,
The table crew,
CHSeagle and his Missus,
Here on bainsey's Isle.

BayStateRef Wed Dec 14, 2011 01:11pm

Quote:

Anyone else of shoreline locales get to do this?

I have been trying to get a game on Martha's Vineyard for the last couple of years...but have only had the team on the road, not at home. I work with guys that get assignments on Block Island, R.I.

Those are long days....and if you miss the last boat back, you are stuck on the island overnight (although I hear they have been known to hold the ferry if the game goes into overtime.)

bainsey Wed Dec 14, 2011 01:48pm

Bravo, Juggling!

SamIAm Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 804680)
A tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port
Aboard this tiny ship.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle
With bainsey
His Umpire too,
Their Fox 40s and their stripes,
The table crew,
CHSeagle and his Missus,
Here on bainsey's Isle.

Robert Service would be more fitting.

Refsmitty Wed Dec 14, 2011 02:29pm

Awesome!

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Dec 14, 2011 03:03pm

Nicely Done JugglingReferee! :) :) :) :) :)

grunewar Wed Dec 14, 2011 04:46pm

Encore!

Juggler - the Eagle and spouse have a heck of a drive first, wow!

RookieDude Wed Dec 14, 2011 04:51pm

LMAO...that's GREAT Juggling!:D

Freddy Wed Dec 14, 2011 05:13pm

Tribute to Styx and the Juggler . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 804680)
A tale of a fateful trip...

And I thought I had "T-T-T-Too Much Time on My Hands" at work! :)

Welpe Wed Dec 14, 2011 05:23pm

Have fun. While you're on the ferry, keep an eye out for a blarge.

BillyMac Wed Dec 14, 2011 06:52pm

Especially In Greater Boston ...

Quote:

To get where we're going, my partner and I have an hour drive, plus a 20-minute (three mile) ferry ride to the island school.

At least you can get there. For most places in New England the story is, "You can't get there from here".

Also. Well done JugglingReferee.

26 Year Gap Wed Dec 14, 2011 08:48pm

Vinalhaven? North Haven? Or Islesboro?