The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Uniform (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84280-uniform.html)

Refsmitty Tue Dec 13, 2011 04:02pm

Uniform

Team B when removing warm ups reveal a few players with tattered under shirts. Team B's coach declared that all were legally dressed - direct T on B coach - right?

just another ref Tue Dec 13, 2011 04:09pm

No, they're just not allowed to play with the illegal undershirts.

Indianaref Tue Dec 13, 2011 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 804334)
Team B when removing warm ups reveal a few players with tattered under shirts. Team B's coach declared that all were legally dressed - direct T on B coach - right?

No, just get with the coach and tell them they need to be removed if they want to play.

bainsey Tue Dec 13, 2011 04:19pm

Illegal uniform, yes. Illegal undershirt, no.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 13, 2011 04:21pm

Quote:

Only if the uniforms are purple or magenta, but not if they are blue or red. ;)

Just asking, but is this some sort of "I can't believe what that other ref did" type of question?

RookieDude Tue Dec 13, 2011 05:42pm

Had a player the other night remove his "warm up" jacket during player introductions. Our crew noticed the player had a "shooting sleeve" with a built in pad on the elbow.

I asked the coach if he had a letter from our State Official Association...WOA...and signed by an official there. (Cindy A.)

He said that he indeed did have the required paperwork at the table...and what do you know...he actually did! (Both the medical slip and WOA slip)

I told him this might be something he would want to bring up in our pre-game conference...he stated no official had even asked for the paperwork yet.:eek:

Having said all that...do other states require Official's Associations signed paperwork...or is a signed medical slip all that is needed for these shooting sleeves?

grunewar Tue Dec 13, 2011 05:46pm

Nope

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 804373)
Having said all that...do other states require Official's Associations signed paperwork...or is a signed medical slip all that is needed for these shooting sleeves?

We ask, "Is it for a medical reason?" and if the answer is yes, we move on.

PC - I'm not going to be someone who goes looking for things (but it isn't a certain kind of job).

RookieDude Tue Dec 13, 2011 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 804374)

PC - I'm not going to be someone who goes looking for things (but it isn't a certain kind of job).

That's what we did last year...

then the powers that be changed that "ruling/procedure" for this year.

Kind of a big deal...at least in our local association.

bob jenkins Tue Dec 13, 2011 06:04pm

We don't even ask anymore.

RookieDude Tue Dec 13, 2011 06:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 804391)
We don't even ask anymore.

...to tell you the truth...that's what I would prefer.;)

...but in the name of consistency, we do it. Also have been told it WILL be a big deal at State.

sidenote:

The coach mentioned above was from a different area than our association usually works.

chseagle Tue Dec 13, 2011 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 804373)
Had a player the other night remove his "warm up" jacket during player introductions. Our crew noticed the player had a "shooting sleeve" with a built in pad on the elbow.

I asked the coach if he had a letter from our State Official Association...WOA...and signed by an official there. (Cindy A.)

He said that he indeed did have the required paperwork at the table...and what do you know...he actually did! (Both the medical slip and WOA slip)

I told him this might be something he would want to bring up in our pre-game conference...he stated no official had even asked for the paperwork yet.:eek:

Almost sounds like last night's game, since you're now a TV celebrity (KeHS vs. RHS highlights on 11 PM news).

Actually I like the idea that the WIAA/WOA has to approve the shooting sleeve, as you never know without the note/authorization if the player has the need for it or not (blame some NBA players for making shooting sleeves a uniform accessory).

BillyMac Tue Dec 13, 2011 06:59pm

Don't Be An Electrician ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 804374)

We don't even ask. We just assume.

HawkeyeCubP Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03am

Quote:

Is Michigan an IAABO state?

Rich Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 804404)
Almost sounds like last night's game, since you're now a TV celebrity (KeHS vs. RHS highlights on 11 PM news).

Actually I like the idea that the WIAA/WOA has to approve the shooting sleeve, as you never know without the note/authorization if the player has the need for it or not (blame some NBA players for making shooting sleeves a uniform accessory).

Who cares if he "needs" it?

chseagle Wed Dec 14, 2011 06:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 804473)
Who cares if he "needs" it?

In other words if there is a true medical need for the sleeve, not just to be like his/her NBA idol.