The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A Real Cluster F**k in the 8th Grade Game! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84239-real-cluster-f-k-8th-grade-game.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:21pm

A Real Cluster F**k in the 8th Grade Game!

I apologize in advance for the long post.

Mark, Jr., and I had a boys' JrHS DH'er this afternoon. The games were a 5pm start just ten miles away across the state line in that state up north (read Michigan). An easy $55 and a pleasant afternoon with Junior.

The league in which these two schools play have some unusal rules for JrHS basketball.

1) Both games (7th grade and 8th grade) are played in the following format: a) the first half consist of three four-minute periods and the second half consists of two six-minute periods.

2) The score for the each of the first half periods starts at 0-0. Why, you ask? Because, the team which wins the period gets awarded one point; if the two teams tie for the period, neither team gets a point. Example: If Home wins one of the periods and the Visitors win the other two periods, the score of the game to start the second half is: Home: 1, and Visitors: 2.

3) There are no three-point field goals in the 7th grade game.

4) Pressing is not allowed in the first half of either game. But pressing is allowed in the fourth quarter of the 7th grade game and the second half of the 8th grade game.

5) The 7th graders are only allowed to play man-to-man defense and the 8th graders are allowed to play either man-to-man or zone.

6) There are no penalties for violating (4) or (5) except to stop the game and tell the offending team not to do that. LOL

And now for the fun.

1:37 left in the third four-minute period, Team V has the ball in its front court and Junior is L opposite the Table. He has a CF (Visitors are in the Double Bonus) in the paint on H1 who fouls V1. As Junior moves across the lane to report the foul, V1 punches H1 in the back of his neck. I have the FTF, bye bye V1. FDF and the game goes on.

Team V is leading 3-0 to start the second half. 0:54 left in the third quarter, Team V has the ball in its front court, and I am L opposite the Table.

I have a Held Ball between H2 and V2 in the paint near the endline. I am on top of the situation immediately as H2 and V2 spin each other out-of-bounds. They the drop the ball and decide they are going to go ten rounds. Fortunately for me, a Home school administrator stepped in and seperated the two players. That is when H3 decided that he wanted to get in on the action and tries to jump on V2's back.

Fortunatley, the coaches got the players seperated and Mark and I met at the center circle to make sure we have all the information we need to go on with the game. That is when V-HC sticks in nose in our conference to tell us that the game is over, that he is taking his players off the court and leaving, and that we are at fault for the fight, :eek:.

There was one good thing that came out of this fiasco, and that is that Mark learned out how to complete a game report, :D.

MTD, Sr.

michblue Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:29pm

MTD, Sr.

I know about them interesting rules in a Jr High game. I worked games in the southern part of Michigan when I was in college and dealt with same kind of rules.

How in the world did the V HC defend his argument that him removing himself and his team from the game and going home was your fault?

BktBallRef Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 804105)
The league in which these two schools play have some unusal rules for JrHS basketball.

1) Both games (7th grade and 8th grade) are played in the following format: a) the first half consist of three four-minute periods and the second half consists of two six-minute periods.

2) The score for the each of the first half periods starts at 0-0. Why, you ask? Because, the team which wins the period gets awarded one point; if the two teams tie for the period, neither team gets a point. Example: If Home wins one of the periods and the Visitors win the other two periods, the score of the game to start the second half is: Home: 1, and Visitors: 2.

3) There are no three-point field goals in the 7th grade game.

4) Pressing is not allowed in the first half of either game. But pressing is allowed in the fourth quarter of the 7th grade game and the second half of the 8th grade game.

5) The 7th graders are only allowed to play man-to-man defense and the 8th graders are allowed to play either man-to-man or zone.

6) There are no penalties for violating (4) or (5) except to stop the game and tell the offending team not to do that. LOL

I've just read this far and this game is already a cluster****.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 804111)
Fdf?

Fasle double foul.

SNIPERBBB Tue Dec 13, 2011 07:15am

I always knew Nichigan was a messed up state but those rules are bad...our req leagues down here don't treat the teams like complete idiots like that.

I've only had a team pull off a court once when their point guard went into the wall and got injured. Coach adamantly believed there was a foul there but there was nothing but air between the PG and the defender...the kid just was out of control and landed awkwardly and hit the lone unpadded spot in the wall.

Welpe Tue Dec 13, 2011 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 804166)
I always knew Nichigan was a messed up state

Is that in Canada? :D

SNIPERBBB Tue Dec 13, 2011 09:36am

Its that state up north. Its one of the colloquialisms used to not say *ichigan.

Ignats75 Tue Dec 13, 2011 09:55am

I prefer wolverweasel state. And citizens are weasels. :D

letemplay Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by michblue (Post 804107)
MTD, Sr.

I know about them interesting rules in a Jr High game. I worked games in the southern part of Michigan when I was in college and dealt with same kind of rules.

How in the world did the V HC defend his argument that him removing himself and his team from the game and going home was your fault?

Better yet, what were his and players comments at post game presser? I somehow missed those on Sports Center, YouTube, facebook, twitter, smitter , ditter..and everywhere else

grunewar Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22am

Ouch!

Quote:

An easy $55 and a pleasant afternoon with Junior.

Care to restate? :p

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:28am

What's a "cluster firetruck"? :confused:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 804213)
What's a "cluster firetruck"? :confused:

Its what they call a gaggle of fire trucks in Michigan. ROFLMAO!!

MTD, Sr.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 804190)
Its that state up north. Its one of the colloquialisms used to not say *ichigan.

Its how Woody referred to the state whose name we shall not say. :p

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Tue Dec 13, 2011 06:00pm

Papers Please ...

Quote:

Just ten miles away across the state line in that state up north (read Michigan).

I know that our Connecticut border guards screwed up a few years ago, but with your reputation, how on Earth did you get across the Michigan border? Those "tough" immigration guys are right, our borders are like a sieve.

BillyMac Tue Dec 13, 2011 06:03pm

Jon Stewart, You're Not ...

Quote:

Cluster F**k.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Please don't use this phrase again. It's unbecoming of you, and very undignified. It actually surprises me that you would choose to use such language. I watch the Daily Show every night, and hate it every time they use this phrase.