The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul during a shot, then foul on a rebound (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/84199-foul-during-shot-then-foul-rebound.html)

JS 20 Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:30am

Foul during a shot, then foul on a rebound

A1 shoots a 3 and while airborne is fouled by B1. While the try is still in flight, A2 fouls B2 under the basket. The try is unsuccessful and team B is in the bonus. How would you proceed? This happened in our area and the crew asked my opinion. I said handle as a double foul and go POI. Thoughts?

Smitty Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:33am

Why would you think it's a double foul?

JRutledge Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35am

It is a false double foul and each of these fouls are treated individually and carry their own penalty.

Peace

bainsey Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06pm

Let's talk about reporting these, 2 man crew.

Trail has the shooting foul, lead has the second foul. Obviously, the two have to get together.

Is it better for one official to report both fouls and their free throws, with the other freezing? If so, does it matter which one does which?

JRutledge Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:08pm

You need to report your own foul. Do not make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Peace

stiffler3492 Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:13pm

Let me take a stab without books in front of me.

A1 gets three shots with the lane cleared. B2 goes to the line at the other end to shoot FT's (1-and-1 or 2), and that's your POI.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 803888)
A1 shoots a 3 and while airborne is fouled by B1. While the try is still in flight, A2 fouls B2 under the basket. The try is unsuccessful and team B is in the bonus. How would you proceed? This happened in our area and the crew asked my opinion. I said handle as a double foul and go POI. Thoughts?

A double foul is by opponents against each other (A1 fouls B1; B1 fouls A1), so it's not that

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiffler3492 (Post 803904)
Let me take a stab without books in front of me.

A1 gets three shots with the lane cleared. B2 goes to the line at the other end to shoot FT's (1-and-1 or 2), and that's your POI.

Close, but there's really no POI, since it's not an IW, correctable error, double foul, ...

JS 20 Mon Dec 12, 2011 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smitty (Post 803891)
Why would you think it's a double foul?

I was thinking logically, not that by definition it was a double foul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 803893)
It is a false double foul and each of these fouls are treated individually and carry their own penalty.

Peace

Can't have a false double here because the fouls were commited by players on opposing teams. False double occurs when there are fouls by teammates on different opponents

APG Mon Dec 12, 2011 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 803933)
Can't have a false double here because the fouls were commited by players on opposing teams. False double occurs when there are fouls by teammates on different opponents

Nope it's a false double foul:

Rule, Section 20
ART. 9 . . . A false double foul is a situation in which there are fouls by both teams, the second of which occurs before the clock is started following the first, and such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent.

You had fouls by both teams and one attribute of a double foul (fouls committed by opponents against each other) is absent.

JS 20 Mon Dec 12, 2011 01:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 803934)
Nope it's a false double foul:

Rule, Section 20
ART. 9 . . . A false double foul is a situation in which there are fouls by both teams, the second of which occurs before the clock is started following the first, and such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent.

You had fouls by both teams and one attribute of a double foul (fouls committed by opponents against each other) is absent.

You're right. My bad on that, I read it wrong in the book.

So then to proceed, they would shoot 3 for the first foul with an empty lane, then go to the other end and shoot 1+1 with the lane occupied? Or would you shoot 1+1 with an empty lane and go POI (arrow since the ball was in flight and try was unsuccessful)?

bob jenkins Mon Dec 12, 2011 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 803945)

So then to proceed, they would shoot 3 for the first foul with an empty lane, then go to the other end and shoot 1+1 with the lane occupied? Or would you shoot 1+1 with an empty lane and go POI (arrow since the ball was in flight and try was unsuccessful)?

What are the times to go to the POI (4-POI)? How are (All?) false double fouls handled?

JS 20 Mon Dec 12, 2011 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 803961)
What are the times to go to the POI (4-POI)? How are (All?) false double fouls handled?

You tell me, bob. That's why I asked on the forum in hopes of getting an answer. :)

JRutledge Mon Dec 12, 2011 03:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 803933)
I was thinking logically, not that by definition it was a double foul.

You need to read your definitions. Rule 4 is the most important rule for a reason.

Peace

APG Mon Dec 12, 2011 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 803945)

You would do the former...enforce the fouls in the order that they occur.

bob jenkins Mon Dec 12, 2011 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JS 20 (Post 803964)
You tell me, bob. That's why I asked on the forum in hopes of getting an answer. :)

To be clear, my answer was given in the "teach a man to fish" spirit.