The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 12, 2011, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

We just had a similar thread.
Depending upon the timing of the fouls, this should be administered as either a simultaneous foul or a false double foul. POI would be used for resuming after a simultaneous foul, but would not be a factor for a false double.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

In 10-6-11 Penalties (7)...

...for a false double foul (as has been stated by others): each foul carries it's own penalty, so -

3 fouls shots for A; a 1-1 is administered to B with the lane spaces occupied.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

How blatant was the contact on the rebound? Could that have been passed on since you clearly had an earlier whistle on the shot? Since you weren't sure about how to assess the penalties, maybe think about that before you put air in your whistle? I'm just adding a little something to think about.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 12:24pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
How blatant was the contact on the rebound? Could that have been passed on since you clearly had an earlier whistle on the shot? Since you weren't sure about how to assess the penalties, maybe think about that before you put air in your whistle? I'm just adding a little something to think about.
Since there will be no rebound (there will either be free throws or a throw-in), some officials might permit slightly more contact occur before calling a foul.

But if things escalate and an earlier foul would have prevented the escalation, how would you feel?
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleringer View Post
It wasn't my game. As it was explained to me, the foul on the rebound was for a player hooking arms with an opponent and eventually sending him to the floor. Not something you could ignore. The whistles for both fouls happened at the same time while the ball was in flight so I think this was a simultaneous foul.
Old Tue Dec 13, 2011, 01:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20 View Post
It wasn't my game. As it was explained to me, the foul on the rebound was for a player hooking arms with an opponent and eventually sending him to the floor. Not something you could ignore. The whistles for both fouls happened at the same time while the ball was in flight so I think this was a simultaneous foul.
Ask the official who called the foul on the shot if he delayed his whistle, or if the contact occurred before or after the shot was in the air.