The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

I am looking for clarification on the new FT lane-space allocation. Previously, a member from either team could occupy any spot along the lane, except for the low block, which was left open by the team entitled to it under the alternation rule.
Has this changed? Basically, if the offensive team decides not to put anyone on the lane, may the defensive players take the middle spots? Could the offensive players move up closer to the free throw shooter if the defense doesn't put anyone there? Also, could the defense put all five players in lane-spaces if the offense leaves one space open or is it a maximum of four along the lane for the defensive team no matter what the offense chooses to do?
The NFHS make it clear or not? Is lining up incorrectly in the upper spaces now a FT violation?
Lastly could someone confirm what the NCAA mens and womens rules on this say. Thanks.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Okay...I know in college women's the space on the bottom is left open and the next one up toward the FT line is assigned to the opponent along with the other spaces in alternating order. I believe, accordiing to what I read, that the NF has echoed the assigning of the spots like NCAA womens, but allowing the bottom block to be occupied. All other spots are assigned to members of specific teams.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Lastly could someone confirm what the NCAA mens and womens rules on this say. Thanks.
NCAA women: The first lane space is above the block. That space must be occupied by a defensive player. The second lane space may be occupied by an offensive player. The third lane space may be occupied by a defensive player.

Anything different is a violation.
Old Sat Apr 26, 2003, 12:46pm
certified Hot Mom tester

The new NF rule, as discussed in a different thread, is that the two spaces on either side of the lane closest to the shooter cannot be occupied. So far, all we have is a press release, not the actual rule. I would venture a guess that this situation will be treated like the one where the lowest space on either side of the lane must be occupied by a member of the non-shooting team, i.e.: you cannot allow the free throw to take place until the proper lane requirements are met.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2003, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:
NCAA women: The first lane space is above the block. That space must be occupied by a defensive player. The second lane space may be occupied by an offensive player. The third lane space may be occupied by a defensive player.

So are you saying that in NCAA womens play if a team chooses not to put a player in one of those spaces that the other team may not put someone there and the space must remain open or it is a violation?
Old Sun Apr 27, 2003, 10:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
Quote:

So are you saying that in NCAA womens play if a team chooses not to put a player in one of those spaces that the other team may not put someone there and the space must remain open or it is a violation?
Yes.