The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   "Coaching Box" ... by Another Name???!!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83935-coaching-box-another-name.html)

Freddy Wed Dec 07, 2011 03:20pm

"Coaching Box" ... by Another Name???!!!

Our R last night, as usual, asked the head coach, "Coach, are you going to be using the Coaches Box tonight?" The head coach responded, "Yes, I will be using the Teaching Box, and I understand that the boundaries are there...and there."
Never heard anyone refer to it like that before.
And this guy, probably the first or second most classiest head coach I've ever encountered, did just that--he used the box as an area from which to teach his players, not yell at the officials.
Oh, what a beautiful thing! :)

26 Year Gap Wed Dec 07, 2011 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 802668)
Our R last night, as usual, asked the head coach, "Coach, are you going to be using the Coaches Box tonight?" The head coach responded, "Yes, I will be using the Teaching Box, and I understand that the boundaries are there...and there."
And this guy, probably the first or second most classiest head coach I've ever encountered, did just that--he used the box as an area from which to teach his players, not yell at the officials.

Like a great golf shot you wish you could duplicate.

Loudwhistle2 Wed Dec 07, 2011 06:04pm

Quote:

I'll bet he used to officiate basketball games. I've seen about 5 of those kind of coaches over the years. While working the game with a "good coach" I feel like something is amiss.

The_Rookie Wed Dec 07, 2011 06:08pm

Quote:

In my part of the world..its the COMPLAINT BOX::)

BktBallRef Wed Dec 07, 2011 06:08pm

Quote:

Never heard it called a "Coaches Box." It ain't his box and only one coach is allowed. :)

Why would it be necessary to ask him that question?

Toren Wed Dec 07, 2011 06:12pm

Quote:

What if he answered "no"...would the R have given him a T to ensure he was correct? :D

Freddy Wed Dec 07, 2011 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 802725)
Never heard it called a "Coaches Box." It ain't his box and only one coach is allowed. :)

Why would it be necessary to ask him that question?

POINT 1: Touche! Nice catch. Make that "Designated Coaching Box" (10-5-1a).
POINT 2: Asking that question is not necessary. Around here it's kinda a tactful segue to the mention of where the boundaries of said box are--a holdover from when the boxes weren't always clearly marked, perhaps. Also intended not to sound as abrasive (maybe not the best word) as, "Hi Coach, I'm Joey Crawford. Are your players properly and legally equipped? Oh, and the boundary lines for your box are there and there."

SE Minnestoa Re Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:20am

My former partner used to tell the coaches "its the coaching box, not the refereeing box" :D