The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Goal Setting? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83786-goal-setting.html)

Freddy Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:13am

Goal Setting?

Interested to know how many of the distinguished members of this august forum set actual goals for yourselves prior to the season. Do you . . .

1) Set actual goals for yourself, log them, monitor progress on them throughout the year, and review them post-season?
2) Set goals in a general way and keep them in mind throughout the year, sorta.
3) Enter upon the season without any specific goals in mind and take what comes along.
4) Don't care about setting goals; that's a bunch of neo-psychobabble that anal people do who I don't really want to be like.

(Responses may be used in a possible association presentation)

bob jenkins Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:17am

My in-season goals are about things I can control -- mechanics, calls, officiating. Not about "getting the big game" (or working X tournament, or working first varsity game, etc).

My longer range goals are about those other things.

tref Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 801965)
My in-season goals are about things I can control -- mechanics, calls, officiating. Not about "getting the big game" (or working X tournament, or working first varsity game, etc).

Always listen to Bob!

Goal list vs. Wish list

When making a goal list it should consist of things we can control, which in turn, places us in a good position to achieve things on our wish list.

Raymond Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:51am

My goal is that when I see myself on film that I look better than did the previous season. Physical appearance, mechanics, movement, positioning, play-calling, hustle.

JRutledge Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:54am

Goals are personal and should not reflect what others might think ultimately. You should always set short term goals, long term goals and sometimes in game goals. The bottom line is set goals and reevaluate them later.

Most of my goals are long term goals and things that can be measured. Things like how many games I want to work and different conferences I wish to work.

My in-season goals are things like calling certain things consistently or game management issues that I might need to work on.

Peace

jTheUmp Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:06am

I try to set a goal for every game of something I'd like to improve on from my last game.

1) get the block-charge calls right (and be in the correct position to make them, especially as the lead).
2) arm straight up in the air on violations/fouls (apparently I leave my arm slightly bent, or so a couple of observers have told me).
3) consistency of calls throughout the game.
4) getting better angles, movement as the trail (I tend to get glued to one spot occasionally).
5) Correct/consistent signals on violations (arm up, violation signal, direction, spot... I occasionally skip the direction or the spot signal).

etc.

fiasco Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 801965)

This.

I set long-term goals about the next "thing" I want to accomplish. I don't set a time limit on when it will happen, because a lot of it is out of my control. Two years ago it was to get the JV championship game. Check. Last year it was to make varsity this season. Check. Next on my list is to get rated high enough to get a Varsity district tournament assignment. After that will probably to make state or to get hired in the JUCO conference upon going to camp.

My in-season "goals" are less goals than areas of focus because they're less quantifiable -- more just about finding a few things I want to focus on working on that year. Last year it was having better and more constructive communication with coaches. I've been told I did really well on that and that's one of the reasons I got picked up for varsity this year.

This year, I'm focusing on communicating better with my partners and with players.

stiffler3492 Mon Dec 05, 2011 01:55pm

What I'll be working on all season long is communication, communication, communication. I know I need to be better with the coaches, and so far this season, I have been.

I also wanted to see and call more PC fouls. Obviously I wouldn't be making up fouls, but as a previous poster said, being in position and seeing the whole play are a couple of things I've wanted to improve upon. So far so good, I must have 8 PC fouls already.