The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Grab water during live ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83647-grab-water-during-live-ball.html)

MelbRef Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:46pm

Grab water during live ball

Ruling?

Live ball, offense walking the ball up the court and teammate runs over near her bench where a bench player hands her a cup of water.

Takes a quick swig (stays on court), and runs back into position.

just another ref Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:01am

She's not bothering anybody. Things would be a lot more peaceful if they all took an occasional water break.

Play on.

Adam Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:04am

I got nothin.

APG Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:13am

Technical foul for members of the bench, other than the coach, standing during live play since he obviously wasn't doing to spontaneously react to a great play, and also an indirect to the coach and seat belt him....

*end sarcasm*

I've got nothing though I'd tell coach at the next opportunity that it probably isn't the best practice.

bainsey Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:30am

Nothing, though I may respond, "really?"

Just be ready with a delay-of-game warning if they spill anything.

JRutledge Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 801504)
Technical foul for members of the bench, other than the coach, standing during live play since he obviously wasn't doing to spontaneously react to a great play, and also an indirect to the coach and seat belt him....

*end sarcasm*

I've got nothing though I'd tell coach at the next opportunity that it probably isn't the best practice.

I got a good laugh out of this one (sarcasm part).

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 801513)
Nothing, though I may respond, "really?"

Just be ready with a delay-of-game warning if they spill anything.

I agree. That would be the only problem, but honestly I would not be looking for that.

Peace

Adam Sat Dec 03, 2011 01:03am

Delay of game can only be called for this after a TO, right?

bainsey Sat Dec 03, 2011 01:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801524)
Delay of game can only be called for this after a TO, right?

Good call. So says 10-2-5f, and it actually doesn't say anything specifically about water.

That said, I can't find anything in the NFHS book to address this. You MIGHT go with a delay of game technical against the player (if a clean up is required). I can't think of anything else that could discourage bringing water on the court.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Sat Dec 03, 2011 05:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 801504)

*end sarcasm*

Its only a TF if they don't bring me an ice cold fruit punch flavored Gatorade at the same time, :D.

MTD, Sr.

grunewar Sat Dec 03, 2011 07:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 801517)
I got a good laugh out of this one (sarcasm part).

Me too. Well played APG!

bob jenkins Sat Dec 03, 2011 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 801527)
Good call. So says 10-2-5f, and it actually doesn't say anything specifically about water.

Except that 10-2-5 says "and similar acts" (or something like that). So, if I have to stop a game to clean up a spill, ....

BktBallRef Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 801527)

That said, I can't find anything in the NFHS book to address this. You MIGHT go with a delay of game technical against the player (if a clean up is required). I can't think of anything else that could discourage bringing water on the court.

How about just leave it alone?

Don't be a plumber.

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:43am

"Coach - I'll let you do that if you also give water to me and my partner when we come by."

Cobra Sat Dec 03, 2011 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 801569)

Don't be a plumber.

How exactly do you leave it alone? Someone just spilled a cup of water on the court during playing action. Are you just going to keep playing with the water on the floor?

Freddy Sat Dec 03, 2011 04:03pm

My Finger Is Again Located Down My Throat

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 801569)
Don't be a plumber.

Your time-worn imprecation, "Don't be a plumber." How 'bout if you just leave that alone for once?
Why don't you reveal your source of income here on the forum so that everyone can warn others not to be one of you?
:D