The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   4 players...what to do. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83632-4-players-what-do.html)

MelbRef Fri Dec 02, 2011 04:15pm

4 players...what to do.

Question:

Had a game last night.

Upon substitution, one player came in and two players came out from the same team. Therefore, only 4 players were on the court and ready to play. No one noticed.

Question: as officials, do we notify the team prior to putting the ball in play? Do we require the team to play with 5 players?

APG Fri Dec 02, 2011 04:20pm

Tell coach, prior to putting the ball at the disposal, you need a fifth player on the court.

JRutledge Fri Dec 02, 2011 04:22pm

Don't ever put the ball in play with 4 on the court. Just do not let this happen.

Peace

jTheUmp Fri Dec 02, 2011 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 801382)
Don't ever put the ball in play with 4 on the court. Just do not let this happen.

Peace

Unless, of course, that team only has 4 players who are uninjured and have not yet been disqualified from the game.

Likewise, never put the ball in play if there are 6 players from one team on the court.

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 02, 2011 04:45pm

"Coach - new rule this year. You get five players." ;)

BillyMac Fri Dec 02, 2011 06:51pm

This Ain't Ice Hockey Coach ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 801386)
Coach, new rule this year. You get five players.

There are no power plays in basketball.

Adam Fri Dec 02, 2011 06:55pm

MS girls game, B squad coach apparently had not taught her girls to tell the player they were replacing they needed to go to the bench. We consistently waited for replaced players to be told.

refiator Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbref (Post 801377)
no one noticed.

REALLY??? No excuse.

Adam Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 801465)
REALLY??? No excuse.

Really? It's pretty easy for a player standing near the bench to have a seat without being noticed.

refiator Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:15pm

I'm being cynical. Kudos to the officials for noticing that only 4 players were on the floor. (I'm not speaking of bench personnel who are clear not playing).......My comment was towards the coach for being clueless.

Adam Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 801471)
I'm being cynical. Kudos to the officials for noticing that only 4 players were on the floor. (I'm not speaking of bench personnel who are clear not playing).......My comment was towards the coach for being clueless.

We had it last week, in the same game I mentioned above. The same coach whose subs weren't notifying their teammates, would sometimes have too many players exit.

JugglingReferee Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 801471)

I think a good table crew could help with informing the on-court officials that they should delay putting the ball in play.

Perhaps it could be added to the Duties and Responsibilities of the table crew?

Adam Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 801474)
I think a good table crew could help with informing the on-court officials that they should delay putting the ball in play.

Agitator.

twocentsworth Sun Dec 04, 2011 03:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 801474)

not a chance! just count the players each and every time....you only have to count to 5...why would anyone need help with that?

deecee Sun Dec 04, 2011 06:07am

Is this a real question?