The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Dayton vs. Wake Forest game 11/24 (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83536-dayton-vs-wake-forest-game-11-24-a.html)

Only a fan Thu Dec 01, 2011 01:50pm

Dayton vs. Wake Forest game 11/24

Did anyone see the ending of this game? Dayton down under two minutes and a pushing foul called on a Dayton player driving the left side of the hoop, passes to a teammate and crashes into defender. Official calls foul on passer and Wake goes down to shoot a one and one at the other end.

Team control foul, right? The Dayton coach does not get upset that Wake is shooting but that a foul was called. Fortunately, Dayton hits two clutch 3's down the stretch and wins the game.

Am I missing something that it was a team control foul and they should not have shot the one and one?

mbyron Thu Dec 01, 2011 02:00pm

The puzzle would vanish if it was a shot. Are you sure it was a pass?

Only a fan Thu Dec 01, 2011 02:21pm

Yes, I am sure it was a pass. He passed it to a teammate across the lane who made the hoop. Initially I was thinking that until I used the DVR and went back to watch the play because I knew that should be the only way Wake would be shooting a one and one.

Raymond Thu Dec 01, 2011 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Only a fan (Post 801079)
Yes, I am sure it was a pass. He passed it to a teammate across the lane who made the hoop. Initially I was thinking that until I used the DVR and went back to watch the play because I knew that should be the only way Wake would be shooting a one and one.

Is it possible the crash came after the teammate released the shot?

Nevadaref Thu Dec 01, 2011 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 801094)
Is it possible the crash came after the teammate released the shot?

If the officials counted the basket, then we would know that answer. If there was no goal scored, then that explanation is out.

BayStateRef Thu Dec 01, 2011 04:02pm

Tough to answer without a video. I found the play-by-play, and it makes so sense. Sure sounds like a team control foul. The foul on Dayton comes at 1:33, when Dayton has the ball.

<table style="width: 460px; height: 344px;" class="mod-data mod-pbp" border="1"><tbody><tr class="odd"><td valign="top" width="50">
</td><td valign="top"> Dayton</td><td style="text-align:center;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">
</td><td valign="top">Wake Forest
</td></tr> <tr class="even"><td valign="top" width="50">1:52</td><td valign="top">Matt Kavanaugh Defensive Rebound.</td><td style="text-align:center;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">71-73</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="odd"><td valign="top" width="50">1:43</td><td valign="top">Josh Parker missed Three Point Jumper.</td><td style="text-align:center;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">71-73</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="even"><td valign="top" width="50">1:43</td><td valign="top">Chris Johnson Offensive Rebound.</td><td style="text-align:center;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">71-73</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="odd"><td valign="top" width="50">1:33</td><td valign="top">Foul on Josh Parker</td><td style="text-align:center;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">71-73</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="even"><td valign="top" width="50">1:33</td><td valign="top">Josh Parker Turnover.</td><td style="text-align:center;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">71-73</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr> <tr class="odd"><td valign="top" width="50">1:33</td><td valign="top">
</td><td style="text-align:center;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">71-74</td><td valign="top">Nikita Mescheriakov made Free Throw.</td></tr> <tr class="even"><td valign="top" width="50">1:33</td><td valign="top">
</td><td style="text-align:center;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">71-75</td><td valign="top">Nikita Mescheriakov made Free Throw.</td></tr> <tr class="odd"><td valign="top" width="50">1:25</td><td valign="top">Paul Williams made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Kevin Dillard.</td><td style="text-align:center;" nowrap="nowrap" valign="top">74-75</td><td valign="top">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

APG Thu Dec 01, 2011 05:24pm

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/40kbhED9uJ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

twocentsworth Thu Dec 01, 2011 06:19pm

thanks to the video, we have our answer....Wake Forest should NOT have been shooting FT's.

ballgame99 Fri Dec 02, 2011 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 801139)
thanks to the video, we have our answer....Wake Forest should NOT have been shooting FT's.

Just want to make sure I understand, if he is passing=team control=no shots; but if he was shooting=player control=shots??

bob jenkins Fri Dec 02, 2011 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 801347)
Just want to make sure I understand, if he is passing=team control=no shots; but if he was shooting=player control=shots??

In NCAAM -- a PC fouls does NOT include contact by an airborne shooter (by definition after the try is released).

In NCAAW and FED, a PC foul includes a foul by an airborne shooter, even though there is no player control at that time.