The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Trouble with C (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83535-trouble-c.html)

tref Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 802325)
Don't worry so much about withholding your whistle, I mean, you've got a play coming hard right at you. Your instinct is always going to be ready to hit the whistle. What you have to be ready to withold is a preliminary signal depending on what you've discussed in your pre-game as to who is going to take the call. In our area, on a drive from the Trail we give the L the greater responsibility if he has the better look/location of the play.

Yeah, I see nothing wrong with the L having a double whistle in the paint.

billyu2 Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 801747)
Count you're blessings.

I do. I love being the C.

tomegun Tue Dec 06, 2011 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwatson (Post 802316)
My problem is with being L. I have a real hard time holding my whistle when players are driving to the basket from either T's or C's area. Any advice on this? Said that like I have done it a lot, truth is I have my first 3 man non scrim game this Thursday, hoping to get it all straight in my brain before that.

If a play is coming from the C's side, and you are looking at it, the possibility exists that nobody is looking at the players in your primary. And, one of those players in your primary could slide over as a secondary defender. When/if this happens, it is a possibility that you will not be ready for it because you are looking at the offensive player (this is the way I'm imagining what you said).

I would suggest engaging in discussions during pregame that focus on staying engaged at the T, watching secondary defenders at the L, etc. You may hear some things from your partners that set the tone for your crew that night and give you some insight as to what they are looking at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 802325)
Don't worry so much about withholding your whistle, I mean, you've got a play coming hard right at you. Your instinct is always going to be ready to hit the whistle. What you have to be ready to withold is a preliminary signal depending on what you've discussed in your pre-game as to who is going to take the call. In our area, on a drive from the Trail we give the L the greater responsibility if he has the better look/location of the play.

Every play should be judged individually, but I don't think the highlighted areas will necessarily lead to consistent success as a crew.

1. You will have several plays coming at you as the L from the C. The C is there to see the play start, develop and finish. I would suggest giving him/her the opportunity to do that. My statement is assuming we are talking about routine plays. When plays involve secondary defenders, plays that the C clearly cannot see (looking through bodies) or non-basketball acts things are different.
  2. Every place I've been, the outside officials withhold a preliminary on block/charge plays where there is a double whistle. Having said that, see #1 for plays from the C's side.
  3. The T should stay engaged to plays that start from his/her primary going to the hoop. Plays may start and develop in the T's area. The L would only see the finish and may not have the best crack at calling the play correctly.
None of this is absolute one way or the other. However, it is hard to get consistent results without a consistent approach.

billyu2 Tue Dec 06, 2011 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomegun (Post 802377)

Every play should be judged individually, but I don't think the highlighted areas will necessarily lead to consistent success as a crew.

1. You will have several plays coming at you as the L from the C. The C is there to see the play start, develop and finish. I would suggest giving him/her the opportunity to do that. My statement is assuming we are talking about routine plays. When plays involve secondary defenders, plays that the C clearly cannot see (looking through bodies) or non-basketball acts things are different.

I agree. My comment concerned a drive from Trail to Lead. From C to L what you said is very true. The Lead needs to watch secondary defenders from his PCA moving into the C's area to defend.
  2. The T should stay engaged to plays that start from his/her primary going to the hoop.
    Plays may start and develop in the T's area.

The T takes the call in his area.

The L would only see the finish and may not have the best crack at calling the play correctly.

Not necessarily. The T may not have the best look at callling the play correctly from back where he is as well.

However, it is hard to get consistent results without a consistent approach.

That's why our state association wants us to have the L take greater responsibility from T to L, to establish a consistent approach. Either way is okay, but so that everyone is on the same page statewide let's do it one way. Plays from T to L were getting screwed up in tournaments because officials were taking the approach they were used to in regular season. So hopefully, as you said, a consistent approach will get us more consistent results.

tomegun Tue Dec 06, 2011 05:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billyu2 (Post 802396)
[/b]

That's why our state association wants us to have the L take greater responsibility from T to L, to establish a consistent approach. Either way is okay, but so that everyone is on the same page statewide let's do it one way. Plays from T to L were getting screwed up in tournaments because officials were taking the approach they were used to in regular season. So hopefully, as you said, a consistent approach will get us more consistent results.

...and that is what matters the most.