The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Last Night's Evaluation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83523-last-nights-evaluation.html)

NCHSAA Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:16pm

Last Night's Evaluation

Had an off night last night so I decided to observe officials at a local HS.

1) They called a Technical Foul on the HC for using the 20 second interval (replace an injured player) to huddle his team near the bench. And the substitute was in position before the second horn.

2) They also granted the HC a timeout to buy time for an injured player to "walk it off", after the 20 second interval began. (Different injury situation than above, it was a rough game).

3) HC lost the box after an indirect, and later walked the entire sideline down to the baseline during play. The Lead official stopped play and asked the coach to return to his seat. No Technical Foul was issued. Then play was resumed.

Thoughts on any of these???

Welpe Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:18pm

How quickly were they starting the 20 second clock for the injured player?

ballgame99 Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:37pm

20 seconds doesn't start until the injured player is off the playing surface, correct?

1) sounds like this could have been handled differently, just break them up. If they were really delaying drop the T.

2) If a player is dinged and they want to call a timeout to let him shake it off I'm ok with that. But if we've already stopped play and givin the injured guy attention, no, he has to come out.

3) it depends. was the guy running to the baseline like an idiot? or did he walk down there so someone could hear him? I'm ok with a warning if he's not trying to show up the crew.

NCHSAA Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 800758)
How quickly were they starting the 20 second clock for the injured player?

Coach was informed of the 20 sec. starting after the player was helped toward the bench

NCHSAA Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 800764)
20 seconds doesn't start until the injured player is off the playing surface, correct?

1) sounds like this could have been handled differently, just break them up. If they were really delaying drop the T.

2) If a player is dinged and they want to call a timeout to let him shake it off I'm ok with that. But if we've already stopped play and givin the injured guy attention, no, he has to come out.

3) it depends. was the guy running to the baseline like an idiot? or did he walk down there so someone could hear him? I'm ok with a warning if he's not trying to show up the crew.

The deal with #2 is, if I remember correctly, once the 20 second interval starts you cannot request a timeout to buy time for the player needing replacement.

And yes, give the player time to be helped to the bench if needed. Do not start it as he is being attended to on the court.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42pm

1) If the sub came up in time, I can't see giving a T here...but once the sub has reported, play begins. Even if he is still huddling, it wouldn't be a T, just put the ball in play.

2) Sounds like they got it right to me. Even if they had beckoned the coach, the timeout buys the player back in if he hasn't yet been replaced. When the player is directed to leave the game for a uniform issue, they don't get to buy them back in...but they can with injuries.

3) Probably fine here if the coach wan't being a problem and just forgot. It doesn't HAVE to be automatic if they're not the problem.

Danvrapp Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 800757)
3) HC lost the box after an indirect, and later walked the entire sideline down to the baseline during play. The Lead official stopped play and asked the coach to return to his seat. No Technical Foul was issued. Then play was resumed.

I'm aware an indirect and a direct doesn't toss him, but just sayin': If I'm going to pitch a coach, have him fined (in Ohio, anyway...) and make him have to sit out 2 games, I'm making sure his second T is worth it. Depending upon the sitch, which you didn't really elaborate on, I may be OK with a verbal redirection instead of a whistle.

NCHSAA Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danvrapp (Post 800771)
I'm aware an indirect and a direct doesn't toss him, but just sayin': If I'm going to pitch a coach, have him fined (in Ohio, anyway...) and make him have to sit out 2 games, I'm making sure his second T is worth it. Depending upon the sitch, which you didn't really elaborate on, I may be OK with a verbal redirection instead of a whistle.

Thats where I had the problem. I am not killing a perfectly good run just to tell the coach to sit. I might motion or let the Trail who was bench side handle it since he was closer. But I'm not killing play.

NCHSAA Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 800769)
1) If the sub came up in time, I can't see giving a T here...but once the sub has reported, play begins. Even if he is still huddling, it wouldn't be a T, just put the ball in play.

2) Sounds like they got it right to me. Even if they had beckoned the coach, the timeout buys the player back in if he hasn't yet been replaced. When the player is directed to leave the game for a uniform issue, they don't get to buy them back in...but they can with injuries.

3) Probably fine here if the coach wan't being a problem and just forgot. It doesn't HAVE to be automatic if they're not the problem.

I'm going by memory, since I don't have my books with me. Can you do this after the 20 seconds has started?

I may be getting this confused with a coach wanting a timeout, but having to wait until the 20 second interval is finished before being granted one. After the replacement then the timeout can be granted.

Welpe Wed Nov 30, 2011 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 800766)
Coach was informed of the 20 sec. starting after the player was helped toward the bench

Based upon what I've been taught, it sounds like they may have been starting the 20 second clock too quickly. Without being there though, I can't say for sure.

bainsey Wed Nov 30, 2011 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 800757)
1) They called a Technical Foul on the HC for using the 20 second interval (replace an injured player) to huddle his team near the bench. And the substitute was in position before the second horn.

Clarity, please. Was the entire team standing? That's the only good reason I can think of to issue a T. Other than that, I'm with Cam -- let's play.

bob jenkins Wed Nov 30, 2011 01:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 800799)
Clarity, please. Was the entire team standing? That's the only good reason I can think of to issue a T. Other than that, I'm with Cam -- let's play.

That's not a good reason to issue a T. Get the rest of the team to sit.

Once the player is injured, tell the coach, I need a sub or you can take a TO to see if s/he's ready to go at the end. Once the coach says "sub" then start the 20-second clock. No TO until after the sub is in. Then, of course, the coach can have a TO, but s/he won't want it then. ;)