The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Game

Had one of those games last night where I couldn't get into a rhythm, nothing on my end seemed to flow and my partner and I made some serious mental mistakes.

Luckily, it was just a jamboree/scrimmage. Not that that should deter me from doing my best work.

I don't know what was wrong with me. My mechanics were jumbled, I was second-guessing myself all game and walked off the floor feeling like a complete pile.

Midway through the fourth quarter, I call a foul on B12. As I'm going to report, my partner is getting ready to take the ball out of bounds while all of Team A's players sub out and a fresh 5 come into the game. Then the table proceeds to tell us we're in the bonus (which we should have known already, see above). A shooter steps to the line and neither my partner nor I bother to remember or recognize that the shooter subbed out and one of his replacements has taken his place at the foul line. I think the varsity coach was trying to pull a fast one on us, and it worked. We didn't even recognize it happened until one of the other officials observing pointed it out to us at the end of the game.

Anyway, I'm glad last night is over and I have four games this week to help me forget...and improve.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

1st game back?
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 02:43pm
This IS My Social Life

Shucks. The self-critiquing is refreshing to hear. But don't be too hard on yourself. Pre-season scrimmages provide a harmless place to knock the rust off, to tune up, to seek areas of improvement, right? At least that's the purpose for them here across the lake from Rut.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 03:12pm
Back from the DL

There's only one solution. Move onto the next game.
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

This self critiquing sounds like

Redskins Deangelo Hall giving HIMSELF a hard time after his bad game vs Cowboys 2 weeks ago. Afterwards he found his peers/opponents hittn him up with words of encouragement....Maybe you'll hear from Teddy V or Brian Kersey in a day or so. Chin up..big man!!
Old Tue Nov 29, 2011, 04:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Had one of those games last night where I couldn't get into a rhythm, nothing on my end seemed to flow and my partner and I made some serious mental mistakes.

Luckily, it was just a jamboree/scrimmage. Not that that should deter me from doing my best work.

I don't know what was wrong with me. My mechanics were jumbled, I was second-guessing myself all game and walked off the floor feeling like a complete pile.

Midway through the fourth quarter, I call a foul on B12. As I'm going to report, my partner is getting ready to take the ball out of bounds while all of Team A's players sub out and a fresh 5 come into the game. Then the table proceeds to tell us we're in the bonus (which we should have known already, see above). A shooter steps to the line and neither my partner nor I bother to remember or recognize that the shooter subbed out and one of his replacements has taken his place at the foul line. I think the varsity coach was trying to pull a fast one on us, and it worked. We didn't even recognize it happened until one of the other officials observing pointed it out to us at the end of the game.

Anyway, I'm glad last night is over and I have four games this week to help me forget...and improve.
I don't know about the rest of the people here, but this is why I worked 5 scrimmages the week before the season started (I got paid for 3 of them). I work no basketball between March and November (except camps and maybe a refresher before a camp) and I'd rather be shaking off the rust then than during my first real game.

First game was Saturday night and I felt pretty good. Probably not so much without those scrimmages. 4 games this week. Bring it on.

Gotta turn the page. We all have nights we'd like back.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

We have two universities in town and worked a scrimmage at one of them a couple of weeks ago. It served two purposes--it gets me up and down the floor and I can work on 3-person mechanics for the two 3-person high school games I have this year.

And we even get paid. It's a good life.
Old Wed Nov 30, 2011, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

the fact that you're upset at how the game went means you care....you want to do a good job & and improving each game is important to you.

i have 5 simple words for you: Don't Let It Happen Again!