The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Resumption of Play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83501-resumption-play.html)

BLS Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:38pm

Resumption of Play

Need to settle an argument on resumption of play:

7-5-1 outlines the resumption of play procedure after timeouts and intermissions.

7-5-1-c state: "following a violation by one team only,if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul."

Does this mean that if you use Resumption of Play in the first quarter for Team A, you wouldn't use it the rest of the game for Team A? You would just issue a technical?

I always assumed that a technical is in order only if a team continues to delay during the same inbounds play. But the rule isn't so clear to me now.

What say you?

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLS (Post 800409)
Need to settle an argument on resumption of play:

7-5-1 outlines the resumption of play procedure after timeouts and intermissions.

7-5-1-c state: "following a violation by one team only,if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul."

Does this mean that if you use Resumption of Play in the first quarter for Team A, you wouldn't use it the rest of the game for Team A? You would just issue a technical?

I always assumed that a technical is in order only if a team continues to delay during the same inbounds play. But the rule isn't so clear to me now.

What say you?

No. It is only a T if the procedure continues in the same sequence. In other words if a violation is called and you have to use the procedure afterwards, and another violation is used, then you would call a T, not for something that happened in the first half and then in the 4th quarter the same thing happens and we have a T. It is all in the same timeout, intermission sequence.

Peace

Freddy Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:47pm

ROP or RIP

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLS (Post 800409)
What say you?

I say Casebook 7.5.1A, which seems to shed light on your questions regarding the ROP.

Note the COMMENT: "Each different time . . ."

Does that cover it?

BLS Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:20pm

That's what I've always thought. What had me confused is why both 7-5-1 c and d are included:

7-5-1-c: "following a violation by one team only,if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul."

7-5-1-d: Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.

Under 7-5-1-c, "following a violation by one team only..."
How could team A violate again if team B puts the ball in play?

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLS (Post 800424)
That's what I've always thought. What had me confused is why both 7-5-1 c and d are included:

7-5-1-c: "following a violation by one team only,if that team continues to delay when authorized to make a throw-in, it is a technical foul."

7-5-1-d: Following a violation by both teams, any further delay by either team is a technical foul.

If they are not ready to play after the timeout or intermission and Team A has been given the opportunity to get the ball.

Peace

Indianaref Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:24pm

Freddy has it right:
COMMENT: Each different time a team has delayed returning to the court after a time-out or between quarters, the resumption-of-play procedure should be used. However, if a team refuses to play after technical fouls have been assessed, the game may be forfeited. (4-38; 5-4-1)

Toren Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:49pm

Hopefully this helps

Team A has a 2 shot free throw following a timeout. The team does not exit their timeout when Team B is ready and the referee is ready and the alloted time is done. We place the ball at the disposal of the free throw shooter. We are using resumption of play. Team A can call a timeout to avoid the violation or they can simply violate and get the second free throw.

Team A continues to not come out for the second free throw. Technical foul for this second infraction.

That's one example of when a team can "further" violate.

mbyron Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLS (Post 800424)

They can't violate again during that throw-in for the reason you state, but they might during the next one.