The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   video on jump stop, daughter gets called for travel (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83500-video-jump-stop-daughter-gets-called-travel.html)

jump stop Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:07pm

video on jump stop, daughter gets called for travel

My first post: I have taught my daughter to shoot an over head jump shot off of the jump stop.
This has been called a travel by some officials at times. If official doesn't know rule and opposing coach or fan yells "thats a travel" they will call it.

I made a video to show move, feel free to critique it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Nvnsy3Ivw

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/29Nvnsy3Ivw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bainsey Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:10pm

The video is private. You'll have to make it public for us to see it.

Adam Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:14pm

Your bigger issue is that you have officials listening to fans and coaches.

Berkut Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jump stop (Post 800398)
My first post: I have taught my daughter to shoot an over head jump shot off of the jump stop.
This has been called a travel by some officials at times. If official doesn't know rule and opposing coach or fan yells "thats a travel" they will call it.

I made a video to show move, feel free to critique it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Nvnsy3Ivw

How can you be sure they are calling it because they don't know the rule and someone yells as opposed to your daughter actually travelling? Perhaps it is called a travel "at times" because "at times" your daughter does not execute the jump stop properly?

jump stop Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:29pm

that could be true, no doubt she has traveled at times.. however tell me if you see any traveling on this video . hopefully you can pull it up

APG Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jump stop (Post 800406)
that could be true, no doubt she has traveled at times.. however tell me if you see any traveling on this video . hopefully you can pull it up

You need to edit the settings on this individual clip. It's still private and thus not viewable by us.

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:31pm

Quote:

Not with the video being private.

Peace

derwil Mon Nov 28, 2011 01:38pm

Has anyone else noticed that the video is private......can't see it.

Raymond Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by derwil (Post 800410)
Has anyone else noticed that the video is private......can't see it.

No one else has noticed. :D

mbyron Mon Nov 28, 2011 02:56pm

Quote:

hopefully you can pull it up

This is not a problem on our end: you must change a setting in YouTube for anyone else to view the video.

tjones1 Mon Nov 28, 2011 03:06pm

Travel. :D

ToolinFool Mon Nov 28, 2011 03:36pm

Good Jump Stop Videos

I like these Videos. If you check out min. 3:25 you will see a "Quahog dribble" that is a step into a jump stop.
Travel or Not Extra Credit: Advanced Moves - YouTube

Adam Mon Nov 28, 2011 04:10pm

Hey, the video is private. I can't access it.

I bet Tebow could view it, though.

tref Mon Nov 28, 2011 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 800475)
Hey, the video is private. I can't access it.

Oh my... not you too!

Camron Rust Mon Nov 28, 2011 04:25pm

As far as I can tell, we have a delay of game situation.

rockyroad Mon Nov 28, 2011 05:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 800475)

5-1 as a starter...hard to argue with that.

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockyroad (Post 800488)

If the defense gave up the same amount of yards and point, they would have had that record before the last 6 games too. Hard to argue that either.

Peace

APG Mon Nov 28, 2011 05:21pm

Quote:

Simply stating he's 5-1, as if he's the sole reason, doesn't look at how and why those games are being won. I'd give the overwhelming credit to the defense.

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 800490)
Simply stating he's 5-1, as if he's the sole reason, doesn't look at how and why those games are being won. I'd give the overwhelming credit to the defense.

I just have one question.

Why is it that people can be critical of Brady, Eli Manning, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees (all have won Super Bowls) but for some reason we cannot talk about a guy that has never won a Super Bowl or has been to any playoff game? Oh 5-1, he must be the GOAT!!!! :rolleyes:

Peace

Welpe Mon Nov 28, 2011 06:48pm

I don't need to see it to know it is a travel.

Coaches and fans accuse me of being blind so why does it matter. They also think I'm indecisive, I'm not sure why.

OK on second thought it is a legal jump stop.

Well maybe not.

(I'll be happy to look at the video for you as soon as you open it up for us.)

BillyMac Mon Nov 28, 2011 07:08pm

Extra Butter ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 800494)
I'll be happy to look at the video for you as soon as you open it up for us.

Me too. I've already got the popcorn ready.

jump stop Mon Nov 28, 2011 07:46pm

try it now it should work, I made it public on You Tube, I need "more tech savy"

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 07:52pm

What do you want us to look at?

Also your example at 1:36 if flawed in which one is the pivot foot. That play she catches the ball with both feet on the floor. Either foot could be the pivot foot. Then again I am not sitting and watching the entire video just to know what you want us to comment on.

Peace

Jeremy Hohn Mon Nov 28, 2011 07:56pm

Great video...and talented daughter!

Looks like she is learning correctly. That long step move is the most incorrectly called travel ever....the ladies are about the only ones that utilize it!

Rich Mon Nov 28, 2011 08:01pm

I watched it. Not a single move in there that should be called a travel, including the game footage at the end (although I've seen that called a travel more times than I'd like to). I actually did watch the entire video.

She's quite good with the ball and it's obvious she's worked very hard at it.

jump stop Mon Nov 28, 2011 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 800500)
What do you want us to look at?

Also your example at 1:36 if flawed in which one is the pivot foot. That play she catches the ball with both feet on the floor. Either foot could be the pivot foot. Then again I am not sitting and watching the entire video just to know what you want us to comment on.

Peace

I guess what I want reviewed : if you saw these moves would you call them a travel? What percentage of referees would call them a travel? Is this a travel ?

jump stop Mon Nov 28, 2011 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 800502)
I watched it. Not a single move in there that should be called a travel, including the game footage at the end (although I've seen that called a travel more times than I'd like to). I actually did watch the entire video.

She's quite good with the ball and it's obvious she's worked very hard at it.

Thanks, the last move from game footage was called a travel. In most games last year, the jump stops were not called traveling. It did happen enough though to make me question if she were doing something wrong, hence the motivation to make a video.

JRutledge Mon Nov 28, 2011 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jump stop (Post 800503)
I guess what I want reviewed : if you saw these moves would you call them a travel? What percentage of referees would call them a travel? Is this a travel ?

If you had a specific play to look at then I would feel more compelled to comment. I will not be watching the entire video just to judge every play in a 10 minute video. And what other officials would do I have no idea. The couple of minutes I saw there was nothing wrong with the moves and I would not call any of them a travel. Traveling is sometimes one of the most inconsistent calls in the game and certainly that is the case with jump stops. I guess I was expecting a jump stop ruling and that was not the case.

Peace

mbyron Mon Nov 28, 2011 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jump stop (Post 800503)

1. No

2. Hm, maybe 2% at the level I work.

3. No.

APG Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:05pm

You'll find that traveling is the most inconsistent calls made/not made in basketball. In high school, in my experience, it leans towards too many officials calling legal plays travels because it "looked weird."

The last play in the clip was a legal play, and IMO, wasn't even that close.

Adam Tue Nov 29, 2011 01:04am

Quote:

McDaniels started 6-0. We've had our hearts shattered before.

BillyMac Tue Nov 29, 2011 06:57am

I'm A Travelin' Man ...

Don't see anything that I would call a travel here.

SAJ Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:57am

I've tried to slow down the play that starts around 5:13. It doesn't appear to be a valid jump stop at the end of the play.

jump stop Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 800565)
I've tried to slow down the play that starts around 5:13. It doesn't appear to be a valid jump stop at the end of the play.

I agree that feet did not hit simultaneously on this move at 5:13 on video, however I don't believe this was a travel because the ball was caught(gathered) with both feet off the floor. thanks for reviewing this and your input

APG Tue Nov 29, 2011 04:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 800565)

No official is going to split hairs that close...at least I wouldn't.

Adam Tue Nov 29, 2011 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 800621)
No official is going to split hairs that close...at least I wouldn't.

If I need slow motion to figure out if the landing wasn't simultaneous, then it was legal.

fiasco Tue Nov 29, 2011 06:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 800633)
If I need slow motion to figure out if the landing wasn't simultaneous, then it was legal.

+1

One thing that bothers me about watching college basketball on TV is how the commentators will take every opportunity to rip the officials to shreds...after watching the replay in slow motion.

Did anyone see the Duke-Kansas game the other day? Jay Bilas made several comments about how the Duke guard traveled twice before he passed it to his teammate, who hit a three to seal the game. Of course, he waited until after he saw the replay about five times to make those comments.

SAJ Tue Nov 29, 2011 06:32pm

i wasn't using slow motion to see if it wasn't simultaneous...that part was obvious.

i was using it to see where she gathered the ball. at full speed it appeared the right foot was on the ground when she gathered it, and i still feel that way after slowing it down.

APG Tue Nov 29, 2011 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAJ (Post 800640)
i wasn't using slow motion to see if it wasn't simultaneous...that part was obvious.

i was using it to see where she gathered the ball. at full speed it appeared the right foot was on the ground when she gathered it, and i still feel that way after slowing it down.

At 5:16 you can still see the player hasn't gathered the ball. And even if she had gathered the ball with the right foot on the floor, nothing about that makes the play illegal. It would have just meant the player couldn't pivot (and for the record, she gathered the ball in mid-air).

ga314ref Wed Nov 30, 2011 07:33am

I've seen court cases that were shorter...

...but the game action at the end was not a travel.

referee99 Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:34am

I love players with good footwork.

This kid looks great. Saw nothing I would ever call. Keep up the good work.

Raymond Wed Nov 30, 2011 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 800752)
This kid looks great. Saw nothing I would ever call. Keep up the good work.

Her last name is Deibler.

mbyron Wed Nov 30, 2011 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 800810)
Her last name is Deibler.

So you're challenging her parentage? :D

jump stop Wed Nov 30, 2011 08:45pm

Who's Deibler? thanks for reviewing video and giving response

26 Year Gap Wed Nov 30, 2011 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 800496)
Me too. I've already got the popcorn ready.

http://www.americanheritage.us/Image...51a1000909.jpg

jump stop Fri Dec 02, 2011 07:38am

Any other opinions on the legality of these jumpstops? Would it be out of line to talk to officials before game to ask them to observe the moves in warmups so it doesn't surprise them during game?

mbyron Fri Dec 02, 2011 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jump stop (Post 801249)
Would it be out of line to talk to officials before game to ask them to observe the moves in warmups so it doesn't surprise them during game?

Yes, it would be out of line. It would also be counter-productive. You might as well try to teach them the rule....

bob jenkins Fri Dec 02, 2011 08:37am

Quote:

Any other opinions on the legality of these jumpstops? Would it be out of line to talk to officials before game to ask them to observe the moves in warmups so it doesn't surprise them during game?

Better to have the coach talk to the officials during the game -- "Bob, what did she do?" (official mumbles some answer) "I have it as jumping off one foot and landing simultaneously on both feet -- please watch for that."

jump stop Fri Dec 02, 2011 08:40am

Exactly, After talking to the referees( after the game in which they called this move a travel) about this move some seemed confused "catching the ball with one foot on floor and jumping to 2 feet landing simultaneously". So it makes me question how well versed they are on this and they usually say "well maybe you are right" with a deer in headlight look. So my view is to prep them before hand.

The move that gets called the most is the 'step back move' starting at 4:19 on video. thanks

As I stated earlier in most games it is not called but when we get a referree that calls it is very frustrating. In one game the step back was called 3 times.

Raymond Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jump stop (Post 801254)
Exactly, After talking to the referees( after the game in which they called this move a travel) about this move some seemed confused "catching the ball with one foot on floor and jumping to 2 feet landing simultaneously". So it makes me question how well versed they are on this and they usually say "well maybe you are right" with a deer in headlight look. So my view is to prep them before hand.

The move that gets called the most is the 'step back move' starting at 4:19 on video. thanks

As I stated earlier in most games it is not called but when we get a referree that calls it is very frustrating. In one game the step back was called 3 times.

If it's really a concern I'd suggest you have your coach address the issue with the appropriate assignor. And he would need to frame it as "seeking clarification on a rule" type of inquiry.

But in the end, remember that at your daughter's age she not liking to get the most highly trained officials.

fullor30 Fri Dec 02, 2011 09:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jump stop (Post 801254)

Can't see why 'step back move' would be called, just a legal jump stop that happens to be backward rather than usual forward move.

What age/level is your daughter playing? If she is in vid, looks like 7th,8th grade? With exceptions you may have newer officials doing those games. I realize it must be frustrating if moves are legal.

I always listened to a coach or even parent(halftime, or after game if they were respectful to discuss a situation at length) in a lower level game.

Adam Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:23pm

Quote:

Yes it would be out of line to try prepping the officials. If they don't know the rule, they aren't going to take your word. If they do, they don't need your help. No good can come from it. Teach your daughter to adjust. If they call it once, stop using it.

ref2coach Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801302)
Teach your daughter to adjust. If they call it once, stop using it.

Ditto. Your daughter appears to be committed to being the best player She can be. Teaching Her to adapt Her game each night to what the referee crew is or is not allowing will help in being flexible and adaptable in the things She can control.

When I coached we had an acroname that the team used to remind each other to quickly adapt to changing situations. SAID
S-pecific
A-daptation to
I-mposed
D-emands

How the referee is calling the game is just one of the Demands Imposed on that day's game. Adapt and overcome. :)

Indianaref Fri Dec 02, 2011 02:30pm

You ought to send this(video) to all the coaches you can.

jump stop Fri Dec 02, 2011 02:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 801351)
You ought to send this(video) to all the coaches you can.

Send it to coaches or referees?

MelbRef Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:11pm

Good footwork for her age.

I didn't see a travel.

I normally watch the two foot landing very closely, and hit the travel if not simultaneous.

I see a lot of illegal jump stops in inner city leagues.

refiator Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:02pm

Nice job with this video. It's good for officials in that it shows very well how to look for the pivot foot.
Traveling remains the most missed call in basketball.

BillyMac Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:10pm

Sammy, A Little Traveling Music Please ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by refiator (Post 801676)
Traveling remains the most missed call in basketball.

And a call that is often made when the player really doesn't travel.

refiator Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 801679)
And a call that is often made when the player really doesn't travel.

Indeed. It works both ways.

Rob1968 Sun Dec 04, 2011 01:44pm

In regards to the video, 1:27 -1:49:
Take a look at 4-44-3b ... After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot: if the player jumps, neither foot may return to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
This is what I understand to be a "drop-step", and in the video, both feet are off the floor (jump), and then the left foot returns to the floor before the ball is released on a try, thus a travel call. This move, to be legal, must have the non-pivot foot in contact with the floor, before the pivot foot is lifted. Admittedly, it is sometimes missed, due to the speed of the move.

Adam Sun Dec 04, 2011 01:58pm

There's a difference between a long stride and a jump.

Rob1968 Sun Dec 04, 2011 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801786)
There's a difference between a long stride and a jump.

Help me out. A jump is to have both feet off the floor at the same time, which fits the statement in 4-44-3b. ... when it refers to "... neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or a try for goal."

APG Sun Dec 04, 2011 02:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 801784)
In regards to the video, 1:27 -1:49:
Take a look at 4-44-3b ... After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot: if the player jumps, neither foot may return to the floor, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal.
This is what I understand to be a "drop-step", and in the video, both feet are off the floor (jump), and then the left foot returns to the floor before the ball is released on a try, thus a travel call. This move, to be legal, must have the non-pivot foot in contact with the floor, before the pivot foot is lifted. Admittedly, it is sometimes missed, due to the speed of the move.

Are you saying the move at 1:27-1:49 is a travel? First off, in real time, I would have said she landed simultaneously on both feet after gathering the ball in the air. Slowed down, the player's right foot lands first, then the left foot, thus establishing the right foot as the pivot foot. She then steps with her left foot, picks up the pivot foot, and releases the ball before the pivot foot returns to the floor. Thus a legal move.

What's the confusion here?

Adam Sun Dec 04, 2011 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 801789)
Help me out. A jump is to have both feet off the floor at the same time, which fits the statement in 4-44-3b. ... when it refers to "... neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or a try for goal."

I don't believe a jump is defined that broadly. Every layup ever shot involves steps that would fit your definition of a jump.

Rob1968 Sun Dec 04, 2011 07:10pm

The context is established with the initial statement of4-44-3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot: - which the player does at the 1:27 mark. Then, having moved the left foot rearward, she jumps (both feet leaving the floor) and alights on the left foot, before releasing the ball.
I agree that in real time, this move is rarely called a travel. A completely clean - legal - drop-step would involve the non-pivot foot being in contact with the floor, before the pivot foot is lifted. Indeed, if that is the case, until the pivot foot touches again, it cannot be a travel.
Yes, on a normal drive to the basket, at a run, both feet are off the floor three times, without the action incurring a travel violation.
This entire sdcenario is not the main subject of the OP, in as much as a jump-stop is quite a different move.

APG Sun Dec 04, 2011 08:15pm

In real time, and in slow motion, I don't have a travel.

jump stop Sun Dec 04, 2011 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 801835)
The context is established with the initial statement of4-44-3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot: - which the player does at the 1:27 mark. Then, having moved the left foot rearward, she jumps (both feet leaving the floor) and alights on the left foot, before releasing the ball.
I agree that in real time, this move is rarely called a travel. A completely clean - legal - drop-step would involve the non-pivot foot being in contact with the floor, before the pivot foot is lifted. Indeed, if that is the case, until the pivot foot touches again, it cannot be a travel.
Yes, on a normal drive to the basket, at a run, both feet are off the floor three times, without the action incurring a travel violation.
This entire sdcenario is not the main subject of the OP, in as much as a jump-stop is quite a different move.

If this is true then it seems like every layup in which the person is running would be a travel because I have heard it is impossible to run and have both feet touch at the same time. Try running and have both feet on floor at same time. Look at layup shown on video at around 1:05 , pivot foot is lifted before left heel touches.

Adam Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 801835)

My point is if the rules defined a jump the way you suggest, then a layup as normally performed is a travel. There's a difference between a step and a jump. It's a judgment call, but the rule doesn't require the drop step be performed as you say, it prohibits a player from hopping while keeping the pivot foot off the floor. Imagine an aborted jump shot where the player keeps it and lands on the non-pivot foot. Without this rule, that would be legal.

Rob1968 Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:11pm

The difference is whether the ballhandler is moving, such as on a lay-up, or if she (4-44-3) "comes to a stop and establishes a pivot foot" and then, ..."jumps (leaves the floor with both feet, whether jumping off one or both feet). If she does jump, then (4-44-3-b.)"neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal."
As mentioned earlier, in real time, this move is many times not called as a travel violation, even though a clean, (legal) drop-step move involves the non-pivot foot being in touch with the floor before the pivot foot is lifted, or in other words, the legal move does not involve a jump to the non-pivot foot, before the ball is released.

Adam Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:28pm

You're reading way too much into the rule by adding your own definition of "jump." The reason it's not called a travel is it's not a jump.

APG Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801881)
You're reading way too much into the rule by adding your own definition of "jump." The reason it's not called a travel is it's not a jump.

+1

You're reading so much into the rule that you're confusing yourself into thinking this is illegal.

Rob1968 Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:40pm

Sorry, to seem argumentive. The wording of 4-44-3b. seems simple enough. How else would one understand the word "jump", if not "After coming to a stop", and then leaving the floor, as in both feet off the floor, at the same time?

Adam Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob1968 (Post 801892)
Sorry, to seem argumentive. The wording of 4-44-3b. seems simple enough. How else would one understand the word "jump", if not "After coming to a stop", and then leaving the floor, as in both feet off the floor, at the same time?

Obviously, in order to jump, both feet must leave the floor, but running steps do the same thing. To officiate it properly, you have to know the difference.

As for to what the rule refers, here:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 801866)
There's a difference between a step and a jump. It's a judgment call, but the rule doesn't require the drop step be performed as you say, it prohibits a player from hopping while keeping the pivot foot off the floor. Imagine an aborted jump shot where the player keeps it and lands on the non-pivot foot. Without this rule, that would be legal.

Rob1968 Mon Dec 05, 2011 04:25am

Snaqs, I understand your point. From the outset, I agreed that the move, on the video, that I was addressing, is rarely called a travel, in real time. And, in fact, in slow motion, it's not clear-cut to be a travel. It's the only move on the video that is even near to something that I might think the officials in the games that this talented youngster is playing, may be called a travel. Every other move in the video, the true jump-stops, the jump-stops to the rear, the pivots, are not even suspect.
I just spent two hours going over some of the videos on the net that are presented as training aids for basketball moves. It's amazing how many guys have put stuff on the net, made up their own names for moves, and parts of moves, and at times don't even describe their video presentations congruously with the actions shown.

jump stop Sun Dec 11, 2011 01:21pm

thanks

jump stop Mon Jun 11, 2012 02:31pm

`