The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team Control on Throw In (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83335-team-control-throw.html)

Bishopcolle Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:06am

Team Control on Throw In

I am away from my rule books, but yesterday I read in the "Fundamentals Of Basketball Rules" (something similarly titled in the Officials manual) that one of the fundamentals is there is no team control on a throw in. Is that still correct? Or outdated, since the change this year with there being team control on the throw in? Am I wrong in my interpretation? Or just changes need to be made to the Officials manual?

APG Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:09am

There IS team control on a throw-in due to the rules change this year.

Bishopcolle Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:26am

Thank you....

Thanks....I feel better.....

stiffler3492 Wed Nov 23, 2011 01:09am

In Illinois, we didn't get books sent to us this year. So our most current rule book (without this year's changes), is incorrect.

Scrapper1 Wed Nov 23, 2011 07:34am

Just one more screw-up by the Rules Committee and/or Editor on this same issue. :mad:

BLydic Wed Nov 23, 2011 09:31am

Did a new Officials Manual get published this year?

DrPete Wed Nov 23, 2011 09:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLydic (Post 799679)
Did a new Officials Manual get published this year?

Yes it did, the officials manual comes out every two years.

Nevadaref Wed Nov 23, 2011 04:23pm

The NFHS issued a correction for the Manual

2011-12 NFHS Basketball Publication Corrections

2011-13 NFHS Basketball Officials Manual
  1. Page 13, 1.4.1.B – Update text as follows: Neither a team nor any player is ever in control during a dead ball, jump ball <S>or throw-in</S>, or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for goal.

2011-12 NFHS High School Basketball Rules Simplified & Illustrated
  1. Page 87 – Update rules fundamental No. 2 near bottom of page as follows: Neither a team nor any player is in control during a dead ball, or during a jump ball <S>or throw-in</S>, or when the ball is in flight during a try for tap or goal.
  1. Page 100 – Update text below MechaniGram as follows: Number 4 passes the ball from out of bounds outside the end line to his/her teammate in the backcourt. This is legal as <S>there is no player control during a throw-in and</S> the ball does not have either frontcourt or backcourt status during a throw-in. Once <S>control is established</S> the ball is possessed in the backcourt, Team A will have 10 seconds to advance the ball to A’s frontcourt.
  1. Page 119 – Update the text under the top PlayPic as follows: During a throw-in, No. 4 passes the ball to No. 10 in the frontcourt. Number 10 muffs the ball, and it goes into the backcourt. It is not a violation for No. 10 to recover the ball in A’s backcourt as Team A had not established possession in it’s frontcourt. Player and team control are established in the backcourt when No. 10 secures possession of the ball. <S>There is no player or team control during a throw-in.</S>
2011-12 High School Basketball Rules by Topic

Page 277 – Remove rule reference 5-12-5 and replace with 5-11-2 at the bottom of the page.

See Also: Basketball; Rules Change;

The above is posted at this link:
NFHS | 2011-12 NFHS Basketball Publication Corrections