The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Review late in First half of Kentucky/ODU (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/83249-review-late-first-half-kentucky-odu.html)

Jeremy Hohn Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:50pm

Review late in First half of Kentucky/ODU

Late in the first half, there seemed to be a review for foul clarification on WHOM the foul occurred. That is CLEARLY one of the areas we CANNOT use the monitor for. It didn't appear that the contact was severe enough to use the monitor to determine whether a flagrant 1 happened.

I am just now getting to the level where monitor games are frequent on my schedule, so knowledge of when we can/cannot use them is they key for not having a snafu.

Thoughts? Anyone else see the play?

It was a late review giving the foul to Vargas of Kentucky rather than their star player, #3.

twocentsworth Sun Nov 20, 2011 08:04pm

didn't see the situation you reference....but simply "say" you are going to the monitor to determine which player committed the foul....and then find the correct shooter - if that is what you lost.

there are certainly "ways around" the allowable monitor review items should you really need to use the monitor so as not to screw up your game.

Scrapper1 Sun Nov 20, 2011 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 799371)
simply "say" you are going to the monitor to determine which player committed the foul....and then find the correct shooter

I think you have that backwards. It's actually ok to go to the monitor to find the correct shooter (preventing a correctable error). It's NOT ok to go to the monitor to find who committed a foul.

Adam Mon Nov 21, 2011 01:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 799371)
didn't see the situation you reference....but simply "say" you are going to the monitor to determine which player committed the foul....and then find the correct shooter - if that is what you lost.

there are certainly "ways around" the allowable monitor review items should you really need to use the monitor so as not to screw up your game.

Integrity? Anyone?

twocentsworth Mon Nov 21, 2011 03:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 799396)
Integrity? Anyone?

my integrity tells me to "get the call right".

Camron Rust Mon Nov 21, 2011 04:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 799490)

Getting it "right" doesn't include doing it the wrong way. Get the right call the right way. If the right way doesn't permit you go "get it right", then you don't get it right. Lies about what you're looking at the monitor for is the wrong way.

fiasco Mon Nov 21, 2011 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 799490)

You're obviously confused about the meaning of the word integrity.

wfd21 Tue Nov 22, 2011 04:39pm

I was at the game sitting behind Kentucky bench. Calipari went ballistic when foul called on his star player. They used monitor and gave foul to 30.

Adam Tue Nov 22, 2011 07:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 799491)
Getting it "right" doesn't include doing it the wrong way. Get the right call the right way. If the right way doesn't permit you go "get it right", then you don't get it right. Lies about what you're looking at the monitor for is the wrong way.

Exactly!

Jeremy Hohn Wed Nov 23, 2011 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfd21 (Post 799624)
I was at the game sitting behind Kentucky bench. Calipari went ballistic when foul called on his star player. They used monitor and gave foul to 30.

If that was the case, it CLEARLY cannot be used for that according to the latest NCAA rule book.

wfd21 Wed Nov 23, 2011 05:03pm

I agree it is not an aproved use of the monitor, but that is the way it was handled. The whole process took quite awhile and really held up the game.