The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ignore time out? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82956-ignore-time-out.html)

MelbRef Wed Nov 09, 2011 09:52pm

Ignore time out?

Situation:

Last minute, Team A coach, down by 1 point, loudly calls for timeout.
The coach doesn't have any timeouts left.

Ignore it?

What if Team B coach hears it and says "that's a technical".
Still ignore it?

kgeorge0263 Wed Nov 09, 2011 09:59pm

TO request

Do not ignore, if you are close to the coach, ask him if he is sure he wants a timeout. After the final timeout prior to this request, you or your partner should've notified him that he had none left. I give each coach the courtesy when they request at a time that may not be optimal for their situation prior to administering the TO. In this case, you grant it, then "T" the coach.

JugglingReferee Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 797814)
Situation:

Ignore it?

Still ignore it?

Nope.

However, if an action unknown to the requester was pending, I would confirm the request after the new information.

billyu2 Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:02pm

Don't ignore it

Quote:

Situation:

Ignore it?

Still ignore it?

Ignore Coach B. Grant the timeout requested by Coach A. And you may not have time to ask or confirm. Had a situation several years ago where Team A, down by 4, scored with just a few seconds left in the game. Coach A requested a time out. Knowing he didn't have any left I almost hesitated but granted the time out. The coach's strategy almost worked. Team B missed the 2 free throws for the excess time out and Team A almost got the steal on the division line throw in. It was their only hope and a great move by the coach.

billyu2 Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:25pm

No, not the coach!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgeorge0263 (Post 797817)
Do not ignore, if you are close to the coach, ask him if he is sure he wants a timeout. After the final timeout prior to this request, you or your partner should've notified him that he had none left. I give each coach the courtesy when they request at a time that may not be optimal for their situation prior to administering the TO. In this case, you grant it, then "T" the coach.

It's not on the coach. Administrative. That's why I was saying on another thread to review that chart in the pregame or have a copy at the table.

bainsey Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:46pm

While you should indeed inform a coach that he has no timeouts left, isn't it ultimately the coach's responsibility to know that?

APG Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 797824)
While you should indeed inform a coach that he has no timeouts left, isn't it ultimately the coach's responsibility to know that?

It's required.

JRutledge Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 797824)

The requirement is the scorer to inform the coach through the official. If they do not tell you then you may not tell them. But I have yet to have a game where the coaches did not know their status or did not have easier access than the officials. That is why they have 10 assistant coaches in the first place right? :)

Peace

BktBallRef Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:04am

Quote:

Situation:

Ignore it?

Still ignore it?

Why would you ignore it?

deecee Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:34am

Quote:

Situation:

Ignore it?

Still ignore it?

Is your job to coach or to administer the rules as set forth in the rule book? Coach asks for a timeout when he is entitled to request one, why would you not grant it?

Adam Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:54am

Quote:

Situation:

Ignore it?

No

Quote:

Still ignore it?

N/A (see above)
Some officials want to ignore this because they don't want to have to make the call. That's too bad.

chseagle Thu Nov 10, 2011 01:13am

If that is the situation, the R could request a new scorer. Anyone at the table can be replaced if they misapply a rule concerning their duties/responsibilities.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 797827)
The requirement is the scorer to inform the coach through the official. If they do not tell you then you may not tell them. But I have yet to have a game where the coaches did not know their status or did not have easier access than the officials. That is why they have 10 assistant coaches in the first place right? :)

Peace

JRutledge Thu Nov 10, 2011 01:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 797838)
If that is the situation, the R could request a new scorer. Anyone at the table can be replaced if they misapply a rule concerning their duties/responsibilities.

Did you really comment about this? Seriously?

I do not care if they tell me or not, the coach better know their situation with all their assistant coaches they have on their bench.

Peace

BillyMac Thu Nov 10, 2011 06:57am

I Know It, I'm A Bad Boy ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 797834)
Coach asks for a timeout when he is entitled to request one, why would you not grant it?

Maybe he only wants a timeout to tie his shoe?

Adam Thu Nov 10, 2011 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 797860)
Maybe he only wants a timeout to tie his shoe?

Then his coach is going to be extra mad at him. :rolleyes: