The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 11:31am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation Roughest game this season - and it was girls!

Had three HS girls rec games yesterday. The first two went fairly well, although I did T up a coach (so what's new?). The third game, however, was totally different. The two teams had fairly tall girls in the post and at the forward positions so they kept fighting for post and rebounding position. My partner and I called quite a few fouls in the first half - double bonus both ways, but that was just a precursor of what was to come. About three minutes into the second half, A1 in the post throws an elbow into the face of B1 and knocks her down. Partner calls a flagrant. About a minute later, B1 does the same thing to A2 - I guess she was trying to retaliate. I tossed her. Within another ten minutes, we had almost 20 foul calls, four were intentional and another two were flagrant. During all this, we spoke with both coaches twice and told them to get their teams to knock it off. It didn't work. We thought about just calling the game, but we didn't know how the league would react to that, so we decided to just continue to call all the fouls and hope that everyone would foul out. Finally, the clock ran out and I got to go home. Before I left, I wrote a report on the back of the score sheet that is picked up by a league representative later in the day.

The only "good" news was that all the fouls didn't make the game longer. It was running clock.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 12:32pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Train wreck!

I had a GV game last yr where the team's wouldn't cooperate either.

At half-time we talked about how we were in the bonus earlier in the 1st quarter than any of us could remember. We too agreed to continue to call it tight in hopes that the team's would adjust in the second half.

Not so much......

As I recall, in the second half, we were in the bonus EVEN QUICKER than the first half! Unreal. We were all just shaking our heads.

What's the ole expression, "You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig."

Nothing much we could do. GIGDGO.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 12:50pm
#thereferee99

Running clock.

Salvation.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a regular season game I had a few years ago where a total of 54 fouls were called In that one there was only one technical issued to a visiting team's assistant coach.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Sounds like a regular season game I had a few years ago where a total of 54 fouls were called In that one there was only one technical issued to a visiting team's assistant coach.
Got you beat....had a sub-varsity boys game 3 years ago where we called 63 fouls - and could have easily called twice that.
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Yikes-that must've been one long afternoon.Was it part of a doubleheader?
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Yikes-that must've been one long afternoon.Was it part of a doubleheader?
Longest game I was a part of was a tournament last year and only indirectly as I waited for my ride. 4 games Friday leading to a final on Saturday. I got two of the games Friday with a partner and another pair got the second set. Finals was made up of my partner Friday and the lead in the other Friday games.

Without too much preamble the final was between the clearly two best athletic girls teams there (JV) who had apparently split their games earlier that year. Night before the host team (one of the two in the final) had gotten really chippy against a team they were beating easily.

Whistle is blowing from the jump ball, (illegal use foul on defender recieving jump tap) in the first 3 minutes there are 10 fouls called including a tech on the home coach.First quarter (10 minutes stopped time) took 45 minutes to play. By the end of the first half there were 55 fouls called. By the end of the game 74 fouls called. Game took far too close to 3 hours to get in just for an 82-81 win by the home team.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 05:40pm
Administrator

About 25 years ago I had a boys' H.S. varsity game that had sixty (60) total fouls between the two teams and the game did not go into overtime nor were there any Technical Fouls or Flagrant (PF or TF) Fouls, but there was one Intentional Foul and one Double Foul (this was back when a DF was when two opponents commited PFs against each other at approximately the same time).

And decades (and I do mean decades) ago, in consecutive years I had women's college games between the Univ. of Miami (FL) and Florida International Univ. in which there were 56 total fouls between the two teams.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 30, 2011, 08:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation It's deja vu all over again

Finished this rec season this afternoon with three 5/6 girls games. Previously, I posted that earlier this rec season, I came to the gym and was told the game that had just finished (HS girls) had a final score of 64-4. I thought that was an incredibly weird score. Well - the first game I had today had a final score of 64-4! As the game came to a close, I kept looking around for the Candid Camera crew. I mean, what are the odds.

Oh yeah - the second game finished 55-11 but the third game was fairly close. Now, no games until December 3rd.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2011, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

It is always sad when there are so many fouls. Why can't the players just enjoy playing the game?