The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA test on Arbiter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82785-ncaa-test-arbiter.html)

Scrapper1 Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:47am

NCAA test on Arbiter

I just found out last night at my D3 NCAA meeting that anyone who hopes to work in an NCAA tournament at any level (D1, D2, D3) this season will have to take the NCAA test online. That means you have to pay the $100 to join and take the test. We have probably less than 20 guys in all of New England who will work the D3 tournament, but a couple hundred guys are going to have to take the test, just on the off-chance that they might be asked to work? Cha-CHING!!!

bob jenkins Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:50am

It's pretty much required to even work the regular season here.

Raymond Wed Oct 26, 2011 09:23am

In one of my D3's that requirement is being applied to conference games and the conference tournament.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrapper1 (Post 795989)
I just found out last night at my D3 NCAA meeting that anyone who hopes to work in an NCAA tournament at any level (D1, D2, D3) this season will have to take the NCAA test online. That means you have to pay the $100 to join and take the test. We have probably less than 20 guys in all of New England who will work the D3 tournament, but a couple hundred guys are going to have to take the test, just on the off-chance that they might be asked to work? Cha-CHING!!!

Don't ya love it! :eek:

Scooby Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:12am

That is the way it is going to in NCAA softball (DI) in the great lakes area.

mikeref Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:54am

Let's be real about the $100. With it you get the CCA manual, NCAA rule book and case book, and access to all the video information and news concerning NCAA basketball. The $100 seems like a small investment to help make yourself a better official. One college D3 game check should cover that whopping investment in your officiating future!

JugglingReferee Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeref (Post 796038)
Let's be real about the $100. With it you get the CCA manual, NCAA rule book and case book, and access to all the video information and news concerning NCAA basketball. The $100 seems like a small investment to help make yourself a better official. One college D3 game check should cover that whopping investment in your officiating future!

I think you missed Scrapper's point.

First of all, its $100 per year. And 92%+ of the officials won't even get a chance to earn that money back, and possibly never officiate an NCAA game.

Using Scrapper's numbers, 8% of test writers will be assigned games. Some would say that this is dangerously close to the 1%/99% divide. :eek:

The NCAA rule and case book can be obtained elsewhere, and/or from other people for free. Videos are a plenty.

I would likely pay the $100, but I bet that asking to attend pre-games, and going to camps would service me better.

JRutledge Wed Oct 26, 2011 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 796044)

First of all, its $100 per year. And 92%+ of the officials won't even get a chance to earn that money back, and possibly never officiate an NCAA game.

Using Scrapper's numbers, 8% of test writers will be assigned games. Some would say that this is dangerously close to the 1%/99% divide. :eek:

The NCAA rule and case book can be obtained elsewhere, and/or from other people for free. Videos are a plenty.

I would likely pay the $100, but I bet that asking to attend pre-games, and going to camps would service me better.

About $31.55 of that money you get in books and that does not include shipping and handling and taxes.

Also are your percentages of officials those that work NCAA games or any college level game, or everyone? Because if you work any level college game or have a significant schedule, that money is made in one assignment.

I really wish we did not have to pay the fee at all, but this is a business and anything we do cost us money. When officials go to NCAA Clinics, it cost them much more money to for a hotel, expenses and time to attend. And if you are at a certain level those are required.

Peace

M&M Guy Wed Oct 26, 2011 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 796044)

Juggs, I believe you might've mis-read Scrappy's numbers. He mentioned the NCAA requires taking the test to be allowed to work the post-season tournament, and his numbers point out the possibility that there are many guys that will not work in the post-season, as opposed to not working at all. Most conferences are requiring their officials to be a member, and I would think almost every official would get their money back with one regular-season game.

As far as the money they are receiving, the Arbiter also collects a one-time fee per year from each conference or assignor per official on the roster. This is on top of the $100 fee received from the individual officials.

Umpmazza Thu Oct 27, 2011 07:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 796052)
Juggs, I believe you might've mis-read Scrappy's numbers. He mentioned the NCAA requires taking the test to be allowed to work the post-season tournament, and his numbers point out the possibility that there are many guys that will not work in the post-season, as opposed to not working at all. Most conferences are requiring their officials to be a member, and I would think almost every official would get their money back with one regular-season game.

As far as the money they are receiving, the Arbiter also collects a one-time fee per year from each conference or assignor per official on the roster. This is on top of the $100 fee received from the individual officials.

We pay this in baseball.. there are about 1300 college baseball Umpires..

and the arbiter charges about $4 per official that is signed up in Arbiter.

Brad Sat Oct 29, 2011 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 796133)
and the arbiter charges about $4 per official that is signed up in Arbiter.

That's for the scheduling side -- the $100 is a separate fee. Many officials don't use Arbiter's scheduling at all, but pay the $100 for the NCAA training site each year.

There is no requirement by the NCAA for any of their conference or schools to use Arbiter for scheduling and they have stated that there will never be one. The requirement is for officials to join the training site.

IREFU2 Sat Oct 29, 2011 05:02pm

Tax write off!

Camron Rust Sat Oct 29, 2011 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 796416)
Tax write off!

Like that makes it worth it? That saves most people no more than about $20 off their federal taxes.

twocentsworth Mon Oct 31, 2011 08:53am

c'mon people...quit complaining. if you don't like the rules, then don't play the game.

Camron Rust Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by twocentsworth (Post 796590)
c'mon people...quit complaining. if you don't like the rules, then don't play the game.

Really? $100 is VERY steep for what you get. You think no one should voice their opinion on a forced fee?