The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Split Freethrows?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82768-split-freethrows.html)

garote Tue Oct 25, 2011 05:05pm

Split Freethrows??

Ok Looking for rule citing....tech foul...I know anyone can shoot it...8-3 nhfs...what about splitting... one player shoots #1 and another shoots #2
cant find for or against it in the book

APG Tue Oct 25, 2011 05:33pm

Yes, you can have one shooter for each free throw shot for a technical foul.

garote Tue Oct 25, 2011 05:36pm

rule citing please

APG Tue Oct 25, 2011 05:41pm

The very rule you cited...8-3

Rule 8, Section 3 Attempting Technical-Foul Free Throws

The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

The bold part is my emphasis...the very rule says there can be more than one free thrower. Plus, there's no rule preventing this from happening.

garote Tue Oct 25, 2011 05:46pm

Thank you...That's how I interpreted it...but didn't want to impose that to sway any one.

Thank you

APG Tue Oct 25, 2011 05:52pm

No problem!

Incidently enough, I've never seen a coach take "advantage" of the rule allowing the free throws to be split. I have, however, had partners/coaches try and insist only a player in the game at the time of the T can shoot the free throws...they'd be right if we were working games where the league minimum is around $500,000. ;)

grunewar Tue Oct 25, 2011 05:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by garote (Post 795873)
Thank you...That's how I interpreted it...but didn't want to impose that to sway any one.

Thank you

Yeah, no one would do that around here.......

referee99 Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:04am

Basic approach...

Quote:

Originally Posted by garote (Post 795863)
Ok Looking for rule citing....tech foul...I know anyone can shoot it...8-3 nhfs...what about splitting... one player shoots #1 and another shoots #2
cant find for or against it in the book

If its not prohibited its okay.

zm1283 Wed Oct 26, 2011 01:12am

I had a "veteran" partner enforce this mythical rule last year. He would only let one of the five players on the court shoot the technical foul shots. I even went to him and tried to reason with him, but to no avail. The coach of the shooting team asked me about it and I didn't really know what to tell him. He knew the rule, I knew the rule, but my bonehead partner refused to admit that he may be wrong. I didn't really know what to tell the coach, so I just said "I guess we're playing it this way today". Thankfully he let it go.

APG Wed Oct 26, 2011 01:24am

Did you point him towards 8-3 at any point during halftime or after the game?

Nevadaref Wed Oct 26, 2011 03:41am

2003-04 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 13: Technical foul shooter A1 attempts the first free throw and substitute A6 attempts the second. RULING: Legal. Technical foul free throws may be attempted by any player or eligible substitute. Therefore, two different players may attempt the throws. (8-3)

bob jenkins Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 795874)
No problem!

Incidently enough, I've never seen a coach take "advantage" of the rule allowing the free throws to be split. I have, however, had partners/coaches try and insist only a player in the game at the time of the T can shoot the free throws...they'd be right if we were working games where the league minimum is around $500,000. ;)

Many NCAA players play for less than that. ;)

KCRC Wed Oct 26, 2011 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer
No problem!

Incidently enough, I've never seen a coach take "advantage" of the rule allowing the free throws to be split. I have, however, had partners/coaches try and insist only a player in the game at the time of the T can shoot the free throws...they'd be right if we were working games where the league minimum is around $500,000.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 795975)
Many NCAA players play for less than that. ;)

I think APG was referring to the SEC!!!

zm1283 Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 795918)
Did you point him towards 8-3 at any point during halftime or after the game?

Yes. He sort of admitted he was wrong. Tried to play it off like I was "Reading too much into the rule", which is the same thing I've heard from several partners when they don't know a rule and I do.

Scuba_ref Thu Oct 27, 2011 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 795869)
Yes, you can have one shooter for each free throw shot for a technical foul.

Has anyone ever seen this...Coach thinking to himself, "I think I'll put my second best free throw shooter in to take the first shot, if he misses I can always go to my number 1 guy."