The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Knee Replacement (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82763-knee-replacement.html)

David M Tue Oct 25, 2011 07:37am

Knee Replacement

I have been told by my doctor that I need total knee replacement surgery. Has anyone had this done? Were you able to return to officiating basketball or baseball? If so how long did it take to get back?

I also put this on the baseball forum as I do both sports.

grunewar Tue Oct 25, 2011 07:47am

First and foremost, good luck with your health and recovery.

While I have had my share of knee work done, I haven't had a total knee replacment. I was able to come back pretty quickly several yrs ago and really pushed myself - I don't know if I would be so fortunate now.

I would think that much of this is on an individual and depends on a great many factors - age, weight, athleticism, abitlity to heal, time to rehab, drive and determination, etc.

I certainly wish you good luck and hope you come back 100%.

Volleyball in your future? ;)

BillyMac Tue Oct 25, 2011 06:09pm

Good Luck David M ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 795765)
Volleyball in your future?

Of course, he would have to climb up and down that ladder. That could be tough on a replaced knee. Volleyball officiating is physically demanding.

26 Year Gap Wed Oct 26, 2011 05:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 795881)
Of course, he would have to climb up and down that ladder. That could be tough on a replaced knee. Volleyball officiating is physically demanding.

You only have to climb up once and down once. Unless you OOO.:cool:

BktBallRef Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 796085)
You only have to climb up once and down once. Unless you OOO.:cool:

Be careful and don't over do it.

BktBallRef Wed Oct 26, 2011 08:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David M (Post 795764)
I have been told by my doctor that I need total knee replacement surgery. Has anyone had this done? Were you able to return to officiating basketball or baseball? If so how long did it take to get back?

I also put this on the baseball forum as I do both sports.

David, I still have all my body parts. But my understanding is that they have knee joints that are made for those who wish to return to an active athletic life. The referee (football) I worked with Friday night has had both hips replaced. The second hip is much more mobile than the first. He was telling us about the newer knee replacement devices.

The biggest issue is the more active you are, the quicker the knee is going to wear out.

Texas Aggie Wed Oct 26, 2011 09:18pm

A friend of mine had both knees replaced -- he's late 50s and has returned to officiating. I think it took him roughly 6 months, but that may be more or less depending on how otherwise in shape you're in.

This is an area where I would strongly recommend you start working with a personal trainer NOW -- preferably one with some physical therapy experience, if possible. You can set up a plan to not only return to walking, but also running.

Good luck.

cmathews Thu Oct 27, 2011 09:38am

Personal experience

David M,
I had both of my knees replaced on December 21, 2010. I worked an indoor football game on April 4th, worked a full season of indoor football, and am 8 games into my D2 football schedule, and basketball has started as well. I am not yet 100%. The "knee pain" is gone, the strength is still coming along however. As others have said my doctors advised me that the length of time I will get out of my new knees is going to depend on how I treat them. (I did point out that since I am getting TKR at 45 my track record for treating knees well isn't so shiny LOL) I have had minimal problems. The surgery was a huge success in my mind. The only issue I had was that with replacing them both it was hard to get around the first week, and a little unsure of stability, but that has all worked itself out. Good luck with your decision and if you want to contact me privately feel free

refprof Thu Oct 27, 2011 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 796107)
A friend of mine had both knees replaced -- he's late 50s and has returned to officiating. I think it took him roughly 6 months, but that may be more or less depending on how otherwise in shape you're in.

This is an area where I would strongly recommend you start working with a personal trainer NOW -- preferably one with some physical therapy experience, if possible. You can set up a plan to not only return to walking, but also running.

Good luck.

+1 on pre-surgery pre-hab. I had my hip replaced, and my work allowed recovery to proceed faster than expected. Now, 2 yrs later, I am back to full speed.

good luck!!!

RP

David M Mon Oct 31, 2011 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmathews (Post 796147)
David M,
I had both of my knees replaced on December 21, 2010. I worked an indoor football game on April 4th, worked a full season of indoor football, and am 8 games into my D2 football schedule, and basketball has started as well. I am not yet 100%. The "knee pain" is gone, the strength is still coming along however. As others have said my doctors advised me that the length of time I will get out of my new knees is going to depend on how I treat them. (I did point out that since I am getting TKR at 45 my track record for treating knees well isn't so shiny LOL) I have had minimal problems. The surgery was a huge success in my mind. The only issue I had was that with replacing them both it was hard to get around the first week, and a little unsure of stability, but that has all worked itself out. Good luck with your decision and if you want to contact me privately feel free

cmathews thanks very much. This is very encouraging. I was told by my MD that I would not be able to continue to officiate. I am 57 so that may make a difference but would like to continue at least baseball.

Thanks also to all other responders. I am taking the advice given here and have started "pre hab".