The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   GHSA Puts out some good stuff (PDF and Vid) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/82266-ghsa-puts-out-some-good-stuff-pdf-vid.html)

Larks Thu Oct 13, 2011 09:18am

GHSA Puts out some good stuff (PDF and Vid)

Pre-Season Video
2011 GHSA Basketball Officials Training Video | GHSA.net

Exam Study Guide
http://www.ghsa.net/files/documents/...tudy_Guide.pdf

JRutledge Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53am

The video was outstanding. I think more states need to give that kind of information to help their officials. It really explained more than I see in other videos at this level.

Peace

Rufus Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10pm

Having already viewed these as part of our training for the year I was thinking the state in general, and our association in particular, was doing a good job providing us resources. Good to hear it verified from outside the state.

whistleone Thu Oct 13, 2011 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 793344)
Having already viewed these as part of our training for the year I was thinking the state in general, and our association in particular, was doing a good job providing us resources. Good to hear it verified from outside the state.

The training video is excellent.

Side note: I noticed almost all of the officials shown in the intro. were walking while reporting fouls to the table. Is that the preferred method in Georgia?

grunewar Thu Oct 13, 2011 09:03pm

Agreed. Excellent video and training.

Hope I never get to experience any of it........

McMac Thu Oct 13, 2011 09:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistleone (Post 793381)
Side note: I noticed almost all of the officials shown in the intro. were walking while reporting fouls to the table. Is that the preferred method in Georgia?

Having went to a camp this summer with a Ray McClure, who is a top GHSA official and clinician, and they do two-hand mechanics and walk&talk when reporting. So yes.

tref Fri Oct 14, 2011 09:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMac (Post 793432)
Having went to a camp this summer with a Ray McClure, who is a top GHSA official and clinician, and they do two-hand mechanics and walk&talk when reporting. So yes.

Nice!

Rufus Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistleone (Post 793381)

Walking and talking while reporting is encouraged to help speed things up, yes. One difference is that some were using one-hand to report numbers and as McMac said that's definitely not the mechanic we're encouraged to use.

Grunewar - you and me both, though I know this will always be a part of my pre-game going forward (and shame on me for it not being so previously). During our association meetings they also encouraged us to get a small sharpy marker to put in our pocket so we can write down player numbers on our hand/wrist if anything happens.

BillyMac Fri Oct 14, 2011 06:30pm

867-5309 ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 793613)
Encouraged us to get a small sharpy marker to put in our pocket so we can write down player numbers on our hand if anything happens.

That what I used to do in high school to write down a pretty girl's phone number. In my case, nothing usually happened.

BktBallRef Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:46pm

Evidently, nobody in Georgia STOPS to report a foul.

BillyMac Sat Oct 15, 2011 06:15am

Stop, Look, And Listen ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 793733)

Stop and report is the only way to do it here in my little corner of Connecticut.

ronny mulkey Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:22am

Borrowed

Guys,

Our local association put together a training video last year that GHSA used as their model for this video. Our's has more on it including a "dummy" method for administering the final tally including shots, POI, etc.

If any of you want to see it, let me know and I'll email you a copy. But, I want to make sure that people know that THEY copied US and not vice versa.

Mulk

ronny mulkey Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 793733)

Preferred method is to clear the players, time your presentation to end at the place where you will stop, turn and assume your tableside position on the subsequent play (f.throws, throw-in). So, it is a two handed walk and talk presentation even if you run for the first portion of it. Timing is key.

Our state is very college Women oriented.

grunewar Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 793788)
Stop and report is the only way to do it here in my little corner of Connecticut.

....and the way I have been taught in my not so little corner of NVA.

BktBallRef Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronny mulkey (Post 793818)
Preferred method is to clear the players, time your presentation to end at the place where you will stop, turn and assume your tableside position on the subsequent play (f.throws, throw-in). So, it is a two handed walk and talk presentation even if you run for the first portion of it. Timing is key.

Our state is very college Women oriented.

Which means I was right. :)