The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Last Minute Assignments (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/81957-last-minute-assignments.html)

The_Rookie Sun Oct 09, 2011 09:33am

Last Minute Assignments

Got Text early this morning for a game that starts in 3 hours.

Does accepting last minute assignments show that you have too much availability? or does assignor appreciate it, since u help that out at last minute?

Thanks!

Rich Sun Oct 09, 2011 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 792307)

Does accepting last minute assignments show that you have too much availability? or does assignor appreciate it, since u help that out at last minute?

Thanks!

If you want to work, work. If you don't, don't. I wouldn't read anything into the request other than he needs an official and wants to know if you can work.

grunewar Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:02am

I've found that accepting last minute assignments, especially if you're new to an association, can show you are willing to work. You are "helping the assignor" who might be in a pinch. Maybe you'll become his "go to" guy which could lead to good things down the road.

billyu2 Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:03am

Don't worry-be happy!

Quote:

Thanks!

Why the concern? If you're open and can work the game take it. Assignors certainly would appreciate that you can do the game on such short notice. What they don't appreciate is when your schedule shows you are open and then you respond saying you're not. Keep them up to date.

Raymond Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:33am

Quote:

Thanks!

Don't apply the rules of dating to the business of basketball officiating. ;)

dsqrddgd909 Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnewsref (Post 792317)
don't apply the rules of dating to the business of basketball officiating. ;)

+1 !!

BillyMac Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:21am

Pulled His Chestnuts Out Of The Fire ...

My assigner once contacted me at 10:15 a.m. to work a high school freshman game that was supposed to start at 10:00 a.m., in the next town. I walked into the gym about twenty minutes later in the middle of the first period to an ovation from the crowd. Man, was my partner happy to see me walk into that gym, either that, or he had a gun in his pocket.

BillyMac Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:35am

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 792317)
Don't apply the rules of dating to the business of basketball officiating.

Hey. Take it over to Match.com.

The_Rookie Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnewsref (Post 792317)
don't apply the rules of dating to the business of basketball officiating. ;)

ah perfect!

grunewar Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 792325)
My assigner once contacted me at 10:15 a.m. to work a high school freshman game that was supposed to start at 10:00 a.m., in the next town. I walked into the gym about twenty minutes later in the middle of the first period to an ovation from the crowd. Man, was my partner happy to see me walk into that gym, either that, or he had a gun in his pocket.

I got "the call" one Sunday afternoon, that one of our officials was in a wreck and they needed me at the gym ASAP. Unfortunately, I had about a 25 mile drive. While my partner was happy to see me, some in the gym looked at me like - nice of you to finally get here sparky! :(

stiffler3492 Sun Oct 09, 2011 02:01pm

Never had this role, but my goal as an assignor in this situation would be to make one, and only one phone call. Having people I can count on would make my job much easier.

JRutledge Sun Oct 09, 2011 08:25pm

Quote:

Thanks!

Accept the game or do not accept the game. If you cannot accept the game then explain why. I would not look at it as a bad thing. He is probably texting you because he wants to give you an opportunity.

Peace

Kingsman1288 Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:52pm

Quote:

Thanks!

Having too much availability is never a bad thing, as long as you're not constantly begging the assignor for games. I imagine that would put them off. If you can work it, then take it. It can only help you with the assignor.

On a side note, I do have one assignor I work for who constantly sends out last minute texts and emails asking for someone to cover games. I'll help them out when I can but often times it's more annoying than anything else. I'm starting to think maybe the assignor should consider a career change if he is constantly having issues like that :D