The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Here's an announcer statement which should mean a lot to you folks...

'Every time we watch a replay, the officials look better and better.'

This was said during the women's final while the officials were trying to determine if a wild and crazy three-pointer was actually a three and not a two. The officials on the court were Wesley Dean, Lisa Mattingly and Melissa Barlow.

And did you notice that there was practically no heckling from the fans? Sure, the coaches were going ballistic from time to time, but then that's to be expected. Are we fans starting to grow up a little, or have these three people been so consistently great that we have finally recognized them? I hope so.

When I go to a game I'm watching it as a fan, and I only look at the officials if I hear a whistle when I'm not expecting to hear one. Then I'm watching the signals. But when I go home and watch the game tape later, I'm not into the game emotionally as I was when I was in the arena. I already know the outcome of the game, so I can watch it with a more 'rational' attitude. I have never played basketball, so most of what I have learned about the game I have learned from watching the officiating on these tapes. Sometimes I watch a play over and over again before I can really see what happened. And once I finally 'see' the play, I ask myself 'What's the rule?' If I don't know the rule I look it up. The next question is: 'What was the call/no call?' So far, the score is: Officials - 100%, Me - 0.00%. So, I am constantly amazed at how someone can see the action in a fraction of a second...with arms, elbows flinging all over the place and the ball flying God knows where...and make the correct ruling.

So, to all officials evrywhere...you have my utmost respect.

And as for Lisa Mattingly, Wesley Dean and Melissa Barlow, well...surely they must have been born with whistles in their mouths. They are truly awesome. I would really love to meet them (and several others) just to shake their hands and thank them for all that they have given to the game, but it'll probably never happen. As soon as they validate the score, they sprint out of the arena (and who can blame them?!).

So if any of you know them personally, please let them know that at least one fan appreciates them.

Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Thanks for that Justa, but if I believe them when they say we done good & I gotta believe them when they say we suck.

Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

In both cases ... watch the tape first before you believe anything.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Thanks for that Justa, but if I believe them when they say we done good & I gotta believe them when they say we suck.
Depends on the announcers. Some know what they are talking about, and they actually may have it right when they say the refs aren't doing a good job. Others (we all know some of them ) just start their critiques from the opening jump. For those announcers that never see a ref that does a good job, you just shut them down. They aren't evaluating, they are taking pot shots at every opportunity to sound like they are better than the people assigned to work the game.

People that actually evaluate before making such comments are worth listening to, even if you might not share their opinion. And you should appreciate that they give officials credit for handling a game well. And I had to agree with the assessment of the final , it was well-refereed.

By the way, I saw one commentary that referred to Taurasi getting the star level calls. I didn't see any evidence of that myself - any takers on this one?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Depends on the announcers. Some know what they are talking about, and they actually may have it right when they say the refs aren't doing a good job.
People that actually evaluate before making such comments are worth listening to, even if you might not share their opinion. And you should appreciate that they give officials credit for handling a game well. And I had to agree with the assessment of the final , it was well-refereed.

By the way, I saw one commentary that referred to Taurasi getting the star level calls. I didn't see any evidence of that myself - any takers on this one?
I agree with you about Taurasi. I thought if anything she got a little more attention than some of the other players, not less. I did think the refs did a great job.

I still don't like Ann Meyers. She isn't as offensive as Packer, but she's just so inane. "If they're going to pull this game out, someone's going to have to step up and start scoring." Pulleezzze!!
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 06:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I could not believe this.

I was surprised when they loved the fade away shot by Terosi (sp?) that was called against foul. I personally was not a fan of that call at all, but Mike and Ann loved it. I was always told to stay away from touchy fouls like that, and they called it anyway with very little contact on a fade away. Oh well, that is why I was watching it.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Depends on the announcers. Some know what they are talking about, and they actually may have it right when they say the refs aren't doing a good job.
Not trying to pick a fight, but I have yet to hear an announcer of any sport who shows even a rudimentary knowledge of officiating. They just don't know. That's not a fault of theirs. How could they know, really?

Except for Matt Millon, perhaps, who trained to be an umpire in an NFL exhibition game.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

First look, I thought the Taurasi fade-away foul call was a bit weak. On the replay, I saw her arm stop its motion as it was contacted, contributing to the shot being short. COuld go either way, but I thought it was ok on further review - may have directly caused the miss. Same as hitting the elbow on the jump shooter to alter the shot. Its gerat if you can get away with it.
Old Fri Apr 11, 2003, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Wesley Dean

Wesley lives in North Georgia, and I have had the pleasure of working with him in some NAIA and JUCO games here(I don't think he has much time for this level of game anymore!!)...He has also been a clinician at a couple of camps I have been to.
He is a class guy and a terrific official, and well deserving of the games he gets.