The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Women's Final Vs. Men's Final (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/8176-womens-final-vs-mens-final.html)

rainmaker Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:05pm

I find it intriguing that the overall story board was the same for both games -- except for the last 20 seconds.

Any theories?

DrakeM Wed Apr 09, 2003 02:56am

Good teams find a way to get it together? ;)
How about Brittany Jackson's three?

ChuckElias Wed Apr 09, 2003 07:32am

Tenn was only down 5 when UConn got that last offensive rebound. I there were almost 25 seconds left, why didn't they foul? :confused:

DrakeM Wed Apr 09, 2003 08:00am

They tried to foul, but weren't able to get good enough contact for the crew to call fouls. I was surprised though that fouls were not called.

rainmaker Wed Apr 09, 2003 09:57am

Quote:

Originally posted by DrakeM
They tried to foul, but weren't able to get good enough contact for the crew to call fouls. I was surprised though that fouls were not called.
I agree, Drake. Did you work NCAA before you were in the WNBA? what was the attitude toward end-of-game-stop-the-clock fouls?

rainmaker Wed Apr 09, 2003 09:59am

Quote:

Some shot!! I thought I might have seen the hand of God sort of poke it toward the basket. But does that mean He favors Tennessee? or the underdog? or just loved the shot? or was it my imagination?

BktBallRef Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:06am

Favor the "Evil Empire?" :D

That Airenema guy has got some nerve. :p

rainmaker Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:12am

Quote:

Originally posted by BktBallRef
That Airenema guy ...
Definitely should change his name to Anderson, or something!

Dan_ref Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:

Some shot!! I thought I might have seen the hand of God sort of poke it toward the basket. But does that mean He favors Tennessee? or the underdog? or just loved the shot? or was it my imagination?

I like to think God was otherwise engaged. Probably had one of his local district managers there tho, some yong angel on the fast track! :)

Dan_ref Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:17am

Quote:

So was I, from where I sat in my living room it looked like they had at least 1, maybe 2 opportunities to blow the whistle.

Dan_ref Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:19am

Quote:

Hmmmm...what's the over/under on how long it will take JR to dig up a picture to add to your post? ;)

Jurassic Referee Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Hmmmm...what's the over/under on how long it will take JR to dig up a picture to add to your post? ;)

"Air enema"- hmmmm.....very cute! Implying that he's a sh*tty coach?

Forget him. Anybody else think that Pat Summit should be on the "Jim Boheim All-Time List of Whiny Coaches"?

mdray Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:25am

great defensive substitution by UConn for that final UT throw-in.... Battle comes in and steals the inbound pass!
What a game! (And yes, even though my daughter goes to UT, I agree with JR about Coach Summit's whining at the officials. That's not to say that Gino didn't do his share of whining also.)

Dan_ref Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

"Air enema"- hmmmm.....very cute! Implying that he's a sh*tty coach?

Forget him. Anybody else think that Pat Summit should be on the "Jim Boheim All-Time List of Whiny Coaches"?

She sure likes to scream, doesn't she? Remember that sequence when there was a "cheap" handcheck foul on Tenn, followed by a held ball on a shot under Tenn basket? She was screaming at the official (Lisa Mattingly?), pointing downcourt, screaming...pointing...walked down to the endline & got in Mattingly's face prior to the throw-in...
I thought she was gonna have a stroke.

PGCougar Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:36am

Free throws win games

At least the women know how to make their free throws...

Syracuse wouldn't have made the finals if TX could hit from the line. And then KS shoots 40% from the charity stripe. Think about it. KS shot better with defenders doubling on them. :eek: