The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Williams was really classy in his post-game interview. What he said about his players and how he felt about them seemed totally sincere. Then how he politely hinted to Bernstein that he didn't want to answer the UNC question now and that he was dealing with his team and that it was not her fault personally for having to ask was very deft.
Unfortunately, she just didn't get it. She continued to badger him by asking again, "If the North Carolina job is offered to you, will you take it?" Wasn't it great to see him lose it and stick it to her with the retort, "I don't give a sh*t about North Carolina, or anybody else, right now!"
I do think that he is going to UNC, though.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Not very professional.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, on the part of Bonnie Bernstein!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 12:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Question Journalism.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Yeah, on the part of Bonnie Bernstein!
Why is that so much apart of journalism to ask a question you know the answer to? So if someone comes out publicly and makes their attitude known, you still ask the question no matter what?

Peace
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Wasn't it great to see him lose it and stick it to her with the retort, "I don't give a sh*t about North Carolina, or anybody else, right now!"
I went to bed right after the final horn sounded, so I didn't partake in the post-game nonsense. But are you saying that Williams actually made that comment? Or are you wishing that's what he would have said?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 07:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
But are you saying that Williams actually made that comment? [/B][/QUOTE]That's a fact,Jack!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 07:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
WOW!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

I thought Williams handled the question extremely well. He told her politely that he was concerned with his team at the moment and would not answer that question. She decided to push the issue and he responded in a totally appropriate way imho. He tried to answer the question in a professional manner but she didn't get the picture so he put it in no uncertain terms. I thought the interview was another case of reporters asking a good question at a totally inappropriate time. Let the guy deal with his emotions and his team's emotions and answer those questions at a later date.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

I'm willing to defend Bonnie Bernstein on this one. There's a chance that she was forced to ask those questions by CBS brass. She probably didn't have a choice. Well, I suppose she could have taken a stand, but then she may have been risking her job. Who knows. Regardless, Williams KNEW that question would be asked, and reacted in a totally unprofessional manner himself. Go back to crying, Roy, because the Orange are the champs!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
WOW!
This was my initial reaction when I was watching the interview. I thought that Williams actually gave her two chances to exit that question gracefully, but either her or "the guy in her ear" as Williams called it, would not back off.

With all of the emotion he was feeling at that point, I can't really blame him for what he said, but on the other hand, he had to know that question was coming.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Devana
Not very professional.
I had no problem with what Williams did. All week he's been doing his best to keep the focus on Kansas. The situation was the quiet-tone interview with the losing coach outside of the locker room. This was the time for Bernstein to lob softballs at him so he could be classy, and say the things about great kids like Collison and Heinrich who deserved to have those things said. In 15 minutes he'd be in the media room and they could've hit him with those questions then.

Did Bernstein really think he was going to say something like "since the season has been over for six minutes I can now announce that I'm going to UNC"? She asked, and he tactfully deflected it and tried to communicate that the question was inappropriate. She pressed it, so he fired back with something sure to communicate how he felt about that question being asked. By using that word, his feelings were unequivocal and if I played for the man, I'd appreciate it.

When you coach, you feel like your team is your family. Williams did what any protective parent would do in a similar situation. I admire him even more after that interview.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Nothing wrong with Williams waving her off and walking away, but I can see why he might lose his cool so soon after a crushing loss.

She was definitely forced to press him on the U.N.C. thing. There is a Producer or Executive Producer in the mobile production studio who often calls the shots...ALL the shots. Defy him/her, and Bonnie looks for another job. Or gets used to covering horse racing and dog shows.

Same thing with Jim Gray during the Pete Rose thing a couple years ago.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Well put Pennsylvania Coach!
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

I agree Canuckrefguy ! (I'm padding my stats to get to double figure posts)
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

There are times to ask the "tough questions," but it doesn't seem appropriate after an emotional championship game loss to keep badgering after a sensitive question is turned aside once.

I agree that Bonnie was pressured to ask that question by the producer sitting in the truck and that she'd catch hell (and maybe lose her job) if she didn't push it. "Bonnie, ask him again...don't let him slide... we can bring Jim Gray in your place next year you know."

Williams was just showing loyalty and affection to his players and didn't mean to slight anyone by his remark. I do think he'll take the UNC job. With the departure of Heinrich and Collison, Kansas is a few years away from another final 4 appearance don't you think?

Z