The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Calling a Different Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/81141-calling-different-game.html)

The_Rookie Sun Sep 25, 2011 07:11am

Calling a Different Game

Did my first Women's Varsity game in a fall league. As a 2nd year during season only do JV games. The physical play was greater in varsity than the JV games I did later that day.

Question: Do you find yourself calling different fouls and violations in a Varsity game versus a JV game? Womens game versus a Men's game?

Thanks for feedback....

bob jenkins Sun Sep 25, 2011 08:16am

In theory, no. In practice, yes.

A foul is still "contact which causes a disadvantage."

The same level of contact might cause a foul in a JV game, but not in a Varsity game.

BillyMac Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:17am

Sugar And Spice, And Everything Nice ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 789649)
The same level of contact might cause a foul in a JV game, but not in a Varsity game.

The same level of contact might cause a foul in a girls game, but not in a boys game.

JRutledge Sun Sep 25, 2011 06:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 789636)
Question: Do you find yourself calling different fouls and violations in a Varsity game versus a JV game? Womens game versus a Men's game?

Thanks for feedback....

What might be considered a foul might be different, but the same way I draw that conclusion does not change. I do not work girl's games for example, but when I work college ball those players are much stronger and much more tolerant of certain contact. This also does not mean that a hold is still not a hold or a hand check is still not a hand check, they just will not be the same kind of contact that would knock the older player off stride. And even this weekend I worked a tournament/showcase for some of the top high school players in the country and the same reason I called a foul with those players are no different if I worked with JH kids. This is why having a slow whistle and a complete understanding of advantage/disadvantage and incidental contact goes a long way. You should not call a foul because someone falls, you should call fouls when something illegal really happens. I think some people just understand that concept and others struggle.

Peace

Nevadaref Sun Sep 25, 2011 08:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 789636)
Did my first Women's Varsity game in a fall league. As a 2nd year during season only do JV games. The physical play was greater in varsity than the JV games I did later that day.

Thanks for feedback....

Yes, there is a difference in level of play and in the genders.
You need to adjust to the players in the game that you are calling.
Figure out what they can and cannot handle and officiate accordingly.
That will allow you to be successful.

I find that the people who call it the same no matter who is playing aren't very successful.