Old Sun Apr 06, 2003, 10:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

Needs a better shine on those dogs.
Sent them out for Leather Luster. Be back next week.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2003, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Well, those of us with presence can sense where the ball is...it speaks to us...tells us jokes...it buys us beer after the game...washes our cars on the weekend...it flirts with our wives and tells lies to our bosses, but that is another matter...we have achieved oneness with the basketball.

[/B]
When did ya give up on being a Druid,Dan??

[/B][/QUOTE]

Ya know, I've been questioning that whole Druid thing lately. I dunno...there's gotta be more to life than dancing around a bunch of rocks a couple of times a year.
Old Sun Apr 06, 2003, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
we have achieved oneness with the basketball.
Be the ball, Danny.

Be the ball.
It's hard when you're talking like that.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
"Why were you looking at that area?"
Sometimes, this question is so stupid!

When you officiate an area, your vision does not stop at the end of your area. You see through the play and must always be aware of the ball and know where it is. Do you sense this? No. Do you smell the ball? No. Is the ball calling to you? No. You have to see the ball to know where it is!

In this play, it wasn't a palming violation at the division line that the trail passed on. It was an obvious travel. Everyone in the building saw it except for the guy who should have called it. The important thing is to call the obvious and get it right. There was absolutely nothing wrong with this call. If it hadn't been so obviously missed by the T, then we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Stupid is as stupid does. I think we can all agree that there are different ways to "see" the ball. There is the obvious, staring at the ball. There is the "oops the ball just got turned over and I am L and need to bust down to trail because everyone is running that way", and there is the nefarious periphrial vision (Even though it is spelled wrong.) If I am watching my area, out of the "corner of my eye" i can see the movement, most of the time, out of my area. (Much like the defensive principle of watching a spot where you can see your man and the ball) It is this movement that will tell me when/where I need to go. I am not sure that my vision is good enough to over rule, or make a ruling on a call that I am looking at out of the corner of my eye.
I would never argue that the T missed the call, and that it was a travel. MY only question is how would others have handled it or been evaluated on it?
In this case, the C was concentrating on his own area...the T's area happened to be (an usually is, at least in part) directly beyond the C's area and is often in the same line of sight as the C should be looking.

As far as evaluations go. I, this last season, let a backcourt all go as lead that I was criticized for since I knew it was a violation but deferred to my partner (the trail). Everyone in the gym but hime knew it was a violation. The evaluator asket me afterwards if I knew it should have been a violation and I said yes....he said I should have called it.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 06:23pm
In Memoriam

Bad memory....

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Everyone in the gym but hime knew it was a violation. The evaluator asket me afterwards if I knew it should have been a violation and I said yes....he said I should have called it.
Camron,
My very first Varsity Girls' game, I made a back court call from baseline lead which got reversed by my 30-year veteran partner who still doesn't know the rule.
I don't think I am able to go there again.
Big impression....
Coach was r-e-a-l-l-y angry!
mick