The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OT: Calling the official a "hater" and "loser" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/80550-ot-calling-official-hater-loser.html)

bainsey Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:37pm

OT: Calling the official a "hater" and "loser"

Here is the footage of Serena Williams committing the yelling violation during the point, the chair umpire's application of the rule, and Serena's reactions to the penalty, both after the point and between games, where she results to name-calling of the ump.

While it wasn't a profane tantrum, I dare say we still have a much shorter leash at the scholastic level.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PNMSMq9VxV8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PNMSMq9VxV8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

JRutledge Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bainsey (Post 787470)
Here is the footage of Serena Williams committing the yelling violation during the point, the chair umpire's application of the rule, and Serena's reactions to the penalty, both after the point and between games, where she results to name-calling of the ump.

While it wasn't a profane tantrum, I dare say we still have a much shorter leash at the scholastic level.

I would not even compare it to what we do. Tennis has a long history of this behavior as most of the participants are not people that are used to be told what to do in many aspects of life. I just remember what McEnroe, Connors, Agassi and Borg used to do. This was tame on many levels, even tamer compared to how she acted two years ago.

Peace

bob jenkins Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 787479)
I would not even compare it to what we do.

I agree. There's "game management" and "unsporting conduct" in all sports but the specific guidelines are completely differerent. They also vary by level (pro v. amateur).

So, I don't think there's much we can learn from this depiction of a different level in a different sport.

APG Tue Sep 13, 2011 01:02pm

Quote:

I would not even compare it to what we do. Tennis has a long history of this behavior as most of the participants are not people that are used to be told what to do in many aspects of life. I just remember what McEnroe, Connors, Agassi and Borg used to do. This was tame on many levels, even tamer compared to how she acted two years ago.

Peace

Tamer but still ridiculous to me...she spent nearly 50 seconds berating the chair umpire there! She's fortunate she plays a sport that's in such dire need of her talents so much...a $2,000 fine is an absolute joke.

Raymond Tue Sep 13, 2011 02:05pm

Serena should be embarassed for sounding like a 16 year-old girl in a high school hallway...smh

stiffler3492 Tue Sep 13, 2011 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 787510)
Serena should be embarassed for sounding like a 16 year-old girl in a high school hallway...smh

This.

Bad Zebra Tue Sep 13, 2011 02:23pm

"You're a hater", "What a loser", "Don't look my way", "Are you the one that screwed me here last time?"

She sounds like a coddled 16 year old brat. The fine was a JOKE. Worse, it seems like it's becoming a pattern with her. Maybe ban her a** from this event for a year to see if she really wants a chance to play there. I never understood why McEnroe's nonsense was tolerated...now Serena. Glad I don't officiate tennis.

grunewar Tue Sep 13, 2011 03:00pm

Until there is some real teeth to the penalty/fine, these "pros" will continue to act like little spoiled brats, embarrassing themselves and the game......

Now, about McEnroe.......?

PS - Tennis? We're discussing tennis? :eek:

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 13, 2011 03:32pm

Serena brings nothing positive to the game. She's nothing but a winer. I can't wait until she's purged from tennis.

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 13, 2011 03:34pm

Quote:

Peace

What BS you spurt Rut. She threatened to kill the line judge. Even a fan in the stands heard it and had no problem exposing Serena. She should have been charged with a criminal offense.

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 13, 2011 03:35pm

Giving the opponent is the correct call. Good job by the chair umpire!

What is funnier is Serena calling the CU "unattractive on the inside" and "we're in America". :D I knew she had no clue about sportsmanship when she came into the tour. But how she hasn't learned after all these years, I dunno - it eludes me. Bad coaching from her parents I guess.

APG Tue Sep 13, 2011 03:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 787530)
What BS you spurt Rut. She threatened to kill the line judge. Even a fan in the stands heard it and had no problem exposing Serena. She should have been charged with a criminal offense.

That was JRut's point...this incident was tamer than her last incident with the line judge.

APG Tue Sep 13, 2011 03:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 787529)
Serena brings nothing positive to the game. She's nothing but a winer. I can't wait until she's purged from tennis.

You tell that to all the sponsors and American viewers she brings to the TV...the people who run the U.S. Open aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot and suspend her from the next tournament. If they're not going to suspend her from the next tournament (which won't happen...not for this), then they should have fined her a lot more then $2,000.

Altor Tue Sep 13, 2011 04:33pm

"Don't look my way."

Well, Serena, she wasn't looking at you except when you were shooting your mouth. You obviously wanted her to look at you. If she would have ignored you, you probably would have said, "Look at me when I'm talking to you."

JugglingReferee Tue Sep 13, 2011 04:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 787534)
You tell that to all the sponsors and American viewers she brings to the TV...the people who run the U.S. Open aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot and suspend her from the next tournament. If they're not going to suspend her from the next tournament (which won't happen...not for this), then they should have fined her a lot more then $2,000.

If she was gone from the tour, another capable athlete would take her place. One that isn't rude, demeaning, etc.

She's a cry baby. And likely always will be.