The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   out of bounds play (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7948-out-bounds-play.html)

timharris Sun Mar 16, 2003 08:52pm

"a"=offense "b"=defense

hello,
"a" has ball out of bounds for throw in, "a" reaches ball threw out of bounds line and "b" slaps the ball and recovers it, is this a violation or a no call?

thanks
tim

rainmaker Sun Mar 16, 2003 08:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by timharris
"a" has ball out of bounds for throw in, "a" reaches ball threw out of bounds line and "b" slaps the ball and recovers it, is this a violation or a no call?
It's a no call. Once the A player reaches the ball across the line, it's fair game.

rpirtle Sun Mar 16, 2003 09:24pm

Agree...

Nevadaref Tue Mar 18, 2003 03:58am

Even Tony and I agree on this!

Blackhawk357 Tue Mar 18, 2003 09:20am

Rule Wager

I had this happen after a made basket in an Independent Tournament a few years ago. A1 slapped the ball away, gained possession and put it right back in the hole. I just scored the basket from the baseline (my partner had vacated).

B1 was trying to get a "T" for team A and argued the point for a second then took a TO. He wanted to bet me $100 that I was wrong. I told him I wouldn't take his money, but I would bet 20 push-ups at center court during halftime of the next game. He accepted the challenge.

The game went really well from that point, and after the game I sent another official who lived close to the gym home for his books. The PA announcer got wind of what was going on and had a little fun with it. Well, I showed A1 (and the PA guy) the rule, and the entire gym was applauding as A1 did his push-ups at center court during halftime.

PA announcer says "Well, I guess they get one right once in a while". :)

Blackhawk

ChuckElias Tue Mar 18, 2003 09:42am

Re: Rule Wager

Quote:

Originally posted by Blackhawk357
I had this happen after a made basket in an Independent Tournament a few years ago. A1 slapped the ball away, gained possession and put it right back in the hole. I just scored the basket from the baseline.

B1 was trying to get a "T" for team A

I had kind of a similar thing in a summer league game last year, varsity age kids, but not really that level of skill.

A1 has the ball OOB for a throw-in. He holds the ball over his head and fakes the throw. In making the fake, he places the ball through the OOB line. B1 is standing with hands straight up and the ball touches his hands.

A1 thinks that I maybe just missed one (I guess), b/c he does it again: ball overhead, across OOB line, touching B1's "upstretched" hands. The two of them stand there, both touching the ball, and look right at me. They both figured that something had to be wrong, but I just kept counting. . . :)

Chuck

Dan_ref Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:15am

Re: Re: Rule Wager

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:

Originally posted by Blackhawk357
I had this happen after a made basket in an Independent Tournament a few years ago. A1 slapped the ball away, gained possession and put it right back in the hole. I just scored the basket from the baseline.

B1 was trying to get a "T" for team A

I had kind of a similar thing in a summer league game last year, varsity age kids, but not really that level of skill.

A1 has the ball OOB for a throw-in. He holds the ball over his head and fakes the throw. In making the fake, he places the ball through the OOB line. B1 is standing with hands straight up and the ball touches his hands.

A1 thinks that I maybe just missed another one (I guess), b/c he does it again: ball overhead, across OOB line, touching B1's "upstretched" hands. The two of them stand there, both touching the ball, and look right at me. They both figured that something had to be wrong, but I just kept counting. . . :)

Chuck

Cute! (I made a minor edit to better reflect what A1 was thinking.) :)

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:20am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
A1 thinks that I maybe just missed another one (I guess), b/c he does it again:

Chick [/B]
Cute! (I made a minor edit to better reflect what A1 was thinking.) [/B][/QUOTE]Maybe he was thinking that Chick finally got one right,and he was in shock!