The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 10, 2000, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am a basketball referee from Sydney, Australia and have heard a lot about 'camps' from the officiating websites I have visited. What are they? We don't have anything like that in Australia, merely action days advising of rule changes and pre-tournament meetings outlining points of emphasis over the coming tournament. From what I have heard from American officials, they attribute a great deal of their success to attending 'camps'. Can someone give me some more information so maybe, we can get some sort of camp structure available in Australia.

Cheers
matt
Old Sun Sep 10, 2000, 10:22pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

quote:
Originally posted by mattbt:
I am a basketball referee from Sydney, Australia and have heard a lot about 'camps' from the officiating websites I have visited. What are they? We don't have anything like that in Australia, merely action days advising of rule changes and pre-tournament meetings outlining points of emphasis over the coming tournament. From what I have heard from American officials, they attribute a great deal of their success to attending 'camps'. Can someone give me some more information so maybe, we can get some sort of camp structure available in Australia.

Cheers
matt

Matt,
Officials'Clinic are sometimes held in conjunction with basketball team camps which are often sponsored by Universities.
The teams play games, sometimes in a tournament format, other times in a meet-every-other-team-once format, which may, or may not, be finalized with a single elimination tournament. (There are several different alternatives to getting the teams to the repective sites.)
The Officials' clinic sponsors, or producers, provide the officiating for the games that are played at the team camps.
Officials that wish to improve their games pay to go to these clinics. In return for the pay, these officials are video-taped, fed, housed, and taught in classroom surroundings, and learn techiniques and philosophies for handling Coaches, players, fands, rules, mechanics, assignors and generally, they learn humility.
Good luck; camps are good.

mick

Is it getting crowded in town?

[This message has been edited by mick (edited September 10, 2000).]
Old Sun Sep 10, 2000, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Yeah, it is getting crowded. I work in the city and it's a pain just getting lunch!!

These camps sound like an excellent idea, something that we can definitely learn from. Would it be too much to ask to get some camp itineraries, topics etc. emailed to me. I'm keen to get some sort of camp going with my association and need some help in the structure of it all.
One more thing - who are the camps pitched at? Officials trying to crack the collegiate or high school level, or beginners or what. The camp I am thinking of running is for people in their first year of junior representative ball (Under 12's and 14's).

matt

PS - You're guys gave us a beating the other nite. You can see from that one performance how dominant Team USA are going to be in the next few weeks. I can't wait to see them.

Old Mon Sep 11, 2000, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mattbt:
Yeah, it is getting crowded. I work in the city and it's a pain just getting lunch!!

These camps sound like an excellent idea, something that we can definitely learn from. Would it be too much to ask to get some camp itineraries, topics etc. emailed to me. I'm keen to get some sort of camp going with my association and need some help in the structure of it all.
One more thing - who are the camps pitched at? Officials trying to crack the collegiate or high school level, or beginners or what. The camp I am thinking of running is for people in their first year of junior representative ball (Under 12's and 14's).

matt

PS - You're guys gave us a beating the other nite. You can see from that one performance how dominant Team USA are going to be in the next few weeks. I can't wait to see them.

Saw the game what a war. Do you know the name of the official who had to step in? They did a great job considering all factors.
I am like you..use FIBA rules. We run camps just like they do in the USA. Our association will look at the particular skill level of the teams/players involved in the camp to determine what level of official could / will work the camp.

For itineraries ideas have a go on these.
- Trail position movement
- Lead position movement
- Offical / Player rapport
- Confidence, stature, image, poise
- Consistency
- Pregame, teamwork, post game
- Communication

The best thing in my mind you should do at a camp is video tape the game with a commentator, and then review it with the officials after the game. A Picture is worth 1000 words. Another idea is to have support staff along the baseline and sidelines who are talking to the official as the game is going on.(depends on skill level of players/official). These assistant should be ensuring that the officials are in the correct position and that they are covering their coverage are. (they don't make calls)

keep smiling
SH

Old Mon Sep 11, 2000, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Carolyn Gillespie was the name of the fill-in. She has done WNBA and is going to the Olympics with Billy (Mildenhall, the guy that got smashed). I thought they did a great job, considering either of them had never refereed players of that calibre before, and the fact that Carolyn did the women's game beforehand.

Thanks for the input. I'm getting a better idea of what a camp is like and hopefully the one I'm trying to put together. We will definitely have use of a video camera(or two) and have plenty of on-court drills rather than in the classroom. From personal experience, practical teaching is a lot better than verbal. I'm thinking of running it in conjunction with preseason training to benefit both the officials who attend, the players and the coaches to hopefully build a greater rapport between the groups.

Cheers

Matt
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 02:19am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:
Carolyn Gillespie was the name of the fill-in. She has done WNBA and is going to the Olympics with Billy (Mildenhall, the guy that got smashed). I thought they did a great job, considering either of them had never refereed players of that calibre before, and the fact that Carolyn did the women's game beforehand.

I saw that game as well... The officials did as good a job as possible with what they had - namely 2 officials.

I don't see how anyone could think that 2 officials can adequately cover a game of that caliber. The takedown incident with Vince Carter in the first 2 minutes, and the collision with the Bill and Vince as well, should strongly encourage FIBA and other organizations to pursue 3-person officiating.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt:
I saw that game as well... The officials did as good a job as possible with what they had - namely 2 officials.

I don't see how anyone could think that 2 officials can adequately cover a game of that caliber. The takedown incident with Vince Carter in the first 2 minutes, and the collision with the Bill and Vince as well, should strongly encourage FIBA and other organizations to pursue 3-person officiating.

For your imformation and the rest of the board, after these olympics FIBA will be going to 3 person officiating for all top tournament and games.(World's and Olympics), unfortunity they will not be going to 3 person in every game. Some countries still don't think it needed. ?????????? and i thought that the the crack problem was server in the states. WOW

keep smiling
SH
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt:

Brad,
I thought Vince Carter caused the injury in a deliberate attempt to get Mildenhall away from him. With Carter's, obviously, superior peripheral vision, I am thinking that he knew that "little" official was there.
I was saddened by that display and the results of that action.
mick

Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 01:54pm

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
quote:
I thought Vince Carter caused the injury in a deliberate attempt to get Mildenhall away from him. With Carter's, obviously, superior peripheral vision, I am thinking that he knew that "little" official was there. I was saddened by that display and the results of that action.

I watched the play several times (I recorded it on my TiVo - That instant replay button came in handy!) and I don't think that the collision was intensional.

However, Carter did definitely shove off once the collision took place. I'm not convinced that he knew it was the referee - my gut is that he thought it was an opposing player. If you take into consideration the altercation that had just occured, this makes even more sense.

I did think that Carter was a punk for not immediately going over to the referee to see if he was ok. He turned around, saw that he had collided with the referee, knocking him to the floor, and then just kind of watched the referee sit there as he walked away. Kind of like a "how dare you get in my way" attitude.

Disappointing, but not surprising.

All that being said - that clip is a great teaching tool to stay off the court when in transition/coming up the floor!
Old Wed Sep 13, 2000, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Back to camps....

I've been to a couple and they were GREAT! I do High School, and most of the attendees do as well. Very few have done high school for more than 3-5 years. Some attendees are just starting.

The camps always begin with us expressing our goals for the camp. It may sound corny, but it can help the instructors get a good feel for where we are skill wise. Next it is to the court, where each referees at most one quarter (generally, and in some cases much less!). The point is for the instructors to now watch us and really know where we are in our development.

After this the topics start being modified. (One ref at this year's camp ended up getting mostly individual attention -- he was just beginning and need stuff the rest of us did not.)

A key for the video taping is to get an instructor on a wireless microphone for the audio track. This person can roam the gym for different views and make comments on plays as they happen. This enhances the value of the take-home video a lot! Generally we only spent 30-45 minutes reviewing the video after the game. The instructor would choose a couple of particularly important plays/calls and we'd talk through the sequence.

A schedule is posted for who ref's and who videos (another student who is then very focused on the game) and assignments may change during the camp as the instructors appraise strengths and weaknesses. Generally you ref every game with a different partner.

My sense is there is a lot of work organizing these camps. Still, I gain a lot from the 7-8 games I work over the 2.5 days.