The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I need some good solid advice on my first "offical" game, Jr. High. I have done many "unofficial" elementary games in the past 6 years, but this is my first after passing test and getting "the real thing". I am looking forward to it, but have to admit I AM SCARED! What do I need to concentrate on to start with. My first 3 games are before any rules meetings or mechanics classes. Help PLEASE.
Old Thu Sep 07, 2000, 10:00pm
In Memoriam

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by swmoref:
I need some good solid advice on my first "offical" game, Jr. High. I have done many "unofficial" elementary games in the past 6 years, but this is my first after passing test and getting "the real thing". I am looking forward to it, but have to admit I AM SCARED! What do I need to concentrate on to start with. My first 3 games are before any rules meetings or mechanics classes. Help PLEASE.

swmoref,
Shoot! T'aint nothing you haven't done before. No new rules that you cannot find on the Fed web. If you are working with a partner with more experience, have a nice pre-game and tell him yer nervous.
Talk nicely, smile a lot and blow that Fox like you know it can be blown.
I get up, or get nervous, for almost every game.
Good luck and don't forget to have fun.
mick

By the way, I am glad MO is having a basketball season like MI. I wonder where else they're playing hoops.

[This message has been edited by mick (edited September 07, 2000).]
Old Fri Sep 08, 2000, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

We all started somewhere, right?
I'd say some things to consider are (and you may just want to focus on one or two these each time out):

(1) Like Mick said "blow your whistle". Some new ref's don't like to blow it loud.
(2) watch "your" lines (side and end line) and only blow your whistle when it crosses your lines.
(3) watch your area or "primary "
(4) don't follow the flight of the ball when you're under the hoop. watch for the contact on rebounds
(5) get position and angles on plays.

Smile & have fun.
Remember...you probably still know more than the players and coaches at this age!

Old Fri Sep 08, 2000, 09:54am
Suppref

Mick and Art are right. I would add only one more thing. We all make mistakes, your partner is most likely the only one who will notice. Blow every whistle like you mean it, and sell every call with authority. Be in position and hustle, if you do this chances are you won't miss anything.
God luck and most of all
HAVE FUN!!!

Suppref
Old Fri Sep 08, 2000, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

I think we are all nervous just before every game, I know I get a little excited just before the ball goes up. I think the best thing you can do is keep good eye contact with your partner. He will help you out with the mechanical things. And have fun, it's just a game, whether the parents think so or not.
Old Fri Sep 08, 2000, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Yes we are all nervouse before a game. For me I am the most nervous when I say goodbye to my boss and head to the car. After that I think about the kids and the game. I don't think about myself or nervousness. I think that is very important no matter what you do in public, athletics, speach, officiating, etc. When you quit thinking about being nervous and think about the job at hand the butterflies will go away and you will be just fine. It may take a game or two for it to happen. It may take two years. I've know people who threw up before every speech and they game three a month for two years before it quit. But it will go away. You cannot do this for 20 years without it leaving sometime. Have fun and enjoy the game.

One more think to add. Visualize yourself calling a great game. Being in perfect position in every situation. Calling every foul correctly and then don't pressurize yourself to do it. Just do it. It is amazing how well you will do when you do that. Even with my season being two months away, I am doing it now.

[This message has been edited by Tim Roden (edited September 08, 2000).]
Old Fri Sep 08, 2000, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Relax, have fun, enjoy the game..but stay focused and most of all keep smiling.

SH
Old Fri Sep 08, 2000, 05:03pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

My favorite story about nerves comes from former all-star NHL goalie Glen Hall. Glen used to throw up before every game. When a reporter asked him why, he replied, "If every time you made a mistake at work, thousands of people yelled at you and a flashing red light and siren went off, you'd throw up too!"

Just remember the official's unofficial motto: "Occasionally wrong, but never indecisive."

BLOW THAT WHISTLE!!!
Old Fri Sep 08, 2000, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Always hustle. Remember that to those kids playing in the game IT IS the most important game in the world!! Hustle and give them your best effort!! Look good!! Clean shirt and pants, shoes shined. If you look like an official, most coaches and players will treat you as one. Practice your signals and mechanics in the mirror!! Again make sure you look like an official. Hook up with an experienced official (perhaps through your local assosciation). Ask questions, be a sponge!! Watch more experienced officials work!! Learn from them, both positive and negative. Relax and have fun, experience is a great teacher!!
Old Wed Sep 13, 2000, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

There is a ton of great advice above!

You have enough experience that you should do fine. My tip for most real rookies is to challenge yourself to find and call an off-ball foul. (I still do that myself.) The greatest danger, it seems, is to become a fan and watch the ball. By looking for that (real, not made up) off-ball foul, you cannot watch the ball.

Enjoy yourself. Remember, you are the expert there.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2000, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Well, I survived! 3 games, the gym started out at 115 degrees (so HOT). Just a couple of bad/wrong calls, but I felt that I learned some really good things. I don't think I will really be any more confident going into my next game but maybe a "little" less nervous! Thanks for all of your advice.
Old Thu Sep 14, 2000, 11:02pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

quote:
Well, I survived! 3 games, the gym started out at 115 degrees (so HOT). Just a couple of bad/wrong calls, but I felt that I learned some really good things. I don't think I will really be any more confident going into my next game but maybe a "little" less nervous! Thanks for all of your advice.

Attaboys to swmoref!
I had a couple of "no calls" that I wanted back tonight.
Being less nervous makes you more confident.
Blow that whistle!
mick

Old Fri Sep 15, 2000, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

quote:

You got a lot of great advice and it was nice to see (read) how helpful we were all willing to be knowing that we've all been in your shoes. One pice of advice I'll give you is something one of my supervisors said to the crew I was on three years ago during a playoff game. One of my partners was in his first playoff situation and rushed some calls and signals. The supervisor said, "just remember, when you blow that whistle, nothing else can happen until you say so, therefore, slow down, get your mechanics right, communicate what you have to your partners and the players, then go to the table and make the report. Blowing the whistle, whether they like the call or not, commands respect." We all make mistakes, but when you see something happen, first and foremost blow the whistle like you mean it, then stop, take a split second, compose yourself and make the call.
Sounds like you did ok your first night out! Great job and best of luck.