The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Sideline OOB (Step or Dribble OOB) Mechanic?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7923-sideline-oob-step-dribble-oob-mechanic.html)

Woodee Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:35pm

What is the proper mechanic for signalling a sideline OOB play when the player steps or dribbles OOB? Especially when you are a distance away from the play. An errant pass OOB is easy to see but a dribble or step on the line isn't.

I whistle, point to the line and the direction. I keep getting the WHAT happened looks??? Should I close in and point? Verbally say OOB? What do you folks do?

PAULK1 Sat Mar 15, 2003 02:15pm

whistle/violation signal, direction signal and then point to spot where the ball is to be inbounded.

Blackhawk357 Sat Mar 15, 2003 02:15pm

Woodee,
Don't forget to get your open hand up to stop the clock first. Then I do exactly what you have said. There is no signal for OOB, you just have to be loud enough to communicate the violation, and point the direction the ball is going (you can give the color if you like as well).

I'm not sure what you mean by a dribble or pass it hard to see. Make sure you are covering your sideline and it's not that tough.

Blackhawk

firedoc Sat Mar 15, 2003 04:01pm

I think that it is always a good idea to close the distance as you whistle when you are away from the call. It makes everyone see that you are there and that you know exactly what happened and what the call is. Also, the whistle should always be strong and your hand should be high and straight. Remember that image is everything...almost!

Woodee Sat Mar 15, 2003 06:17pm

I'm not sure what you mean by a dribble or pass it hard to see. Make sure you are covering your sideline and it's not that tough.

Blackhawk
[/B][/QUOTE]

When a pass goes OOB on the sideline everyone can see it go OOB. However when a player is dribbling close to the sideline and either steps or dribbles on the line not everyone sees the violation. When the whistle blows they don't know what its for. Hope that clarifies my question.

Thanks for the info.

Blackhawk357 Sat Mar 15, 2003 07:57pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Woodee

Blackhawk

When a pass goes OOB on the sideline everyone can see it go OOB. However when a player is dribbling close to the sideline and either steps or dribbles on the line not everyone sees the violation. When the whistle blows they don't know what its for. Hope that clarifies my question.

Thanks for the info. [/B][/QUOTE]

I gotch ya' ~

TXMATTHEW05 Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:20pm

If they just happen to step out of bounds, I'll just blow my whistle, point to the spot, say "on the line," and then give the ball to the other team.

Other officials I've worked with will extended their arm in front of them, and then "run" it across the sideline; it looks like they are just chopping the air.....boy, that doesn't make any sense.....