The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Did anyone see the C-USA tournament game between Southern Miss and Cinci? I only saw the highlights, but I had a question about positioning.

The game was officiated by Ted Hillary, Scott Thornley, and Mike Thibodeaux (according to foxsports.com), and I'm not sure which official it was that I noticed. But when this official was in the C position, and the ball drove to the basket on the L's side of the floor, the C slid toward the baseline so that when the shot was taken, he was standing about even with the low block. I hope I'm describing it right. He was still standing at the sideline. But instead of being at the FT line extended, he was standing at the low FT block extended, so to speak.

Did anyone else notice this? Does anyone else position himself or herself in the C position? I can understand taking a step toward the baseline, but going 3/4 of the way to the baseline?

Any thoughts?

Chuck
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 09:14am
In Memoriam

Sometimes,as the C,you know that the L might get partially blocked out by a defender(s) when the offensive player is coming across the lane.You,as C,then slide deeper to get a look at the separation,and also to get a look at arm contact(if any) on the shot.If you stay at the FT line,you might get blocked out by the offensive player,and both you or the L won't get a real good look at the play. You don't have to worry about getting your butt back up the court on a break,so you can cheat a little deeper.

Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Sometimes,as the C,you know that the L might get partially blocked out by a defender(s) when the offensive player is coming across the lane.
But the C did this even when the play was entirely on the L's side of the floor, not coming through the lane.

And I totally agree that you slide toward the endline. But 12 feet toward the endline?

And now, a totally irrelevant movie quote: "She's not my girlfriend. I'm interested in her b/c she's a client. And b/c she sleeps above the covers. Four feet above the covers!"

Anybody recognize it?

Thank you. We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion board.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 09:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
[/B]
But the C did this even when the play was entirely on the L's side of the floor, not coming through the lane.
[/B][/QUOTE]Chuck,was A trying to run their offense through the low post? If so,the L might have the ball and a defender in his primary,and the C might have the reponsibility to get the off-ball low-post contact.To do that,sometimes you have to get deeper to get a good angle on the separation. Just a thought.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 09:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Movie quote

I do believe that's a quote from Ghostbusters!
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: Movie quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
I do believe that's a quote from Ghostbusters!
Yep, Bill Murray speaking of Sigourney Weaver in the original "Ghostbusters."
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Adam takes first place!! All is not lost for the youth of America!!

That line was, of course, preceeded by "Your girlfriend lives in the corner penthouse. . . of Spook Central".
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

It was most likely Thornley. He slides way down as C quite often, to get a better look at things. When there's congestion in the post and shots are going up, I have no problem with official sliding down that far to get the best look he can, as long as he can get into proper position on a fast break the other way. Thornley is one of the top 2 or 3 in the biz, IMHO, and anything he does I would never question. He also calls the jump stop a little more closely than others, which I am in favor of.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Not that anyone gives a rat's patooti, but Southern Mississippi is my alma mater -- class of '71.
Old Thu Mar 13, 2003, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Unfortunately I did not see the game. The C slot (Cadillac) position I am told to move extended free throw line to extended free throw line, I will continue to do so until I am told otherwise of the new changes. The only reason I can think of…… the crew pre-gamed the floor mechanics according to the team/s defense and offense style and were anticipating fast break positioning.

When the C slot was creeping down, did you happen to see the LEAD slowly transition from window 1 or 2 to window 3 while the TRAIL keeping his position up high. The reason I ask, I have seen a similar situation during a fast break the TRAIL busted his butt down court and hooked around on the opposite side and positioning himself on ball side being the now the lead on strong side. And the old LEAD transitioning to C slot while the old C is now the new TRAIL. This is not a proper floor mechanic but I did see this play and thought to myself this is crazy.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackFox40
The only reason I can think of…… the crew pre-gamed the floor mechanics according to the team/s defense and offense style and were anticipating fast break positioning.
I think this was a matter of individual style, and not of pre-gamed positioning. Neither of the other officials ever did it, in the highlights that I saw.

Quote:
When the C slot was creeping down, did you happen to see the LEAD slowly transition from window 1 or 2 to window 3 while the TRAIL keeping his position up high.
That didn't happen. The L stood his ground watching the drive come to him on his side of the floor, and the C slid all the way down to the low block. Very strange.

Quote:
This is not a proper floor mechanic but I did see this play and thought to myself this is crazy.
That is crazy. Rotating in transition? No thanks. Most of my partners will say, "We will not have a rotation until we have 10 players and 3 officials in the frontcourt."

Chuck
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

That is crazy. Rotating in transition? No thanks. Most of my partners will say, "We will not have a rotation until we have 10 players and 3 officials in the frontcourt."
Want to tell some of my partners this? With some fellow refs, it seems like the only time they actually will rotate is when I'm T and the ball is being brought up-court.

On a side note, I was watching the UConn/Seton Hall game last night, and noticed that, during a FT, the lead would stand in the empty space near the basket - even during the last shot. Does anyone know if this is a Big East mechanic or just something that last night's crew decided to do?
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Chuck,

I work college basketball here in Michigan and the mechanic you described in your post is one that I use most of the time in the games I work. In college mechanics for both mens and womens, the "C" position is taught to step down as far as needed to get the best possible angle to make the correct call. So, it is not unusual practice that you saw on television.
The official that used this mechanic was Scott Thornley. Scott is one of the top 5 officials in the country for mens college basketball. He's used this mechanic for as long as I can remember and the mechanic does work.
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
during a FT, the lead would stand in the empty space near the basket - even during the last shot.
That's crazy too. How can you possibly officiate the rebounding action if you're that close to the players? Actually on the court next to the lane? Wierd.

Chuck