The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   7-4 in overtime!! (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7763-7-4-overtime.html)

gsf23 Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:15am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...oring_game_ap/

This was a regional playoff game!! Another advertisement for a shot clock in high school ball.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:18am

The link was posted in "NY Times Article" thread below.

theboys Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:20am

What I find interesting is that the team that was behind was the one which held the ball. Again, I don't have a rulebook with me, but isn't there some rule about the team that's behind has to make an attempt to play? Maybe its one of those situations where you had to be there - personally, I'm glad I wasn't.

tharbert Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:22am

Wrong board - try the Seally PosturePedic discussion group.

Can you imaginge officiating that game?

ChuckElias Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:27am

Quote:

Originally posted by tharbert
Can you imaginge officiating that game?
Yup, easiest 80 bucks you'd ever see.

Chuck

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:30am

Quote:

Originally posted by theboys
Again, I don't have a rulebook with me, but isn't there some rule about the team that's behind has to make an attempt to play?
That rule was taken out at least 20 years ago,Coach.

Dan_ref Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:31am

Quote:

What I find interesting is that the team that was behind was the one which held the ball. Again, I don't have a rulebook with me, but isn't there some rule about the team that's behind has to make an attempt to play? Maybe its one of those situations where you had to be there - personally, I'm glad I wasn't.
No...not as applied to a team burning the clock, either behind or ahead.

Jurassic Referee Tue Mar 04, 2003 10:34am

Goes to show that us ol' guys still got faster reflexes than you young snapper-whippers!

hawkk Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Again, I don't have a rulebook with me, but isn't there some rule about the team that's behind has to make an attempt to play?

I think it was a bit less than 20 -- I know the rule was in effect in '82 . . . while a good rule, it had limits, anyway. If the offensive player dribbled past the hash marks, and the defender didn't come out, the offensive player could stand there as long as he wanted.

cmckenna Tue Mar 04, 2003 12:42pm

Why would'nt the other team just pressure them with defense and force turnovers of 10 second backcourt and 5 second closely guarded calls....

How about the ole travesty of the game stance to get things moving as well....

theboys Tue Mar 04, 2003 03:02pm

Yeah...well...I guess that's what I get for borrowing one of MTD Sr's rule books.

hawkk Tue Mar 04, 2003 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by cmckenna
Why would'nt the other team just pressure them with defense and force turnovers of 10 second backcourt and 5 second closely guarded calls....

How about the ole travesty of the game stance to get things moving as well....

Often, that is what the stalling team wants: to pull the defense out and attack the spread out defense instead of the packed in defense. Here, the losing team was stalling, so why would the winning team spread out its D to make itself more vulnerable?

Don't even think of going to the travesty of the game: the stall has long been part (albeit an ugly part) of basketball. And is not being done to mock the game, but as a conscious strategy to give the team the best chance to win the game -- and here it almost worked as a team that obviously thought it had no chance of winning a straight-up game pushed the game to OT.

But I agree that it is an argument for implementing the shot clock . . .

Schmidt MJ Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:59pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hawkk
[B]
Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

I think it was a bit less than 20 -- I know the rule was in effect in '82 . . .

I don't know when the rule was taken out, but 1982 is 21 years ago.