The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Team B is in the bonus. A1 shoots and while the ball is in flight, A2 fouls B1, the ball enters the basket. Officials count the basket, but lose track of the team fouls on team A and erroneously award team B a spot throw-in. Team B passes the ball onto the court and B1, who has four fouls, commits pushes A3 and is whistled for his 5th foul. Officials inform B1 and coach B that B1 has fouled out and beckon a substitute onto the court. Immediately following B1's replacement, officials discover that team B was in the bonus and B1 was entitled to a one-and-one. Since this is during the first dead ball, it is still a correctable error. Who shoots the free-throws for team B?
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Team B is in the bonus. A1 shoots and while the ball is in flight, A2 fouls B1, the ball enters the basket. Officials count the basket, but lose track of the team fouls on team A and erroneously award team B a spot throw-in. Team B passes the ball onto the court and B1, who has four fouls, commits pushes A3 and is whistled for his 5th foul. Officials inform B1 and coach B that B1 has fouled out and beckon a substitute onto the court. Immediately following B1's replacement, officials discover that team B was in the bonus and B1 was entitled to a one-and-one. Since this is during the first dead ball, it is still a correctable error. Who shoots the free-throws for team B?
This is correctable.

B1's replacement will shoot the FTs with the lane cleared.

Additionally, playe will be resumed with a throw in by A or, if A is in the bonus, FTs by A3 with the lane spaces occupied.

THis all remains true even if it were discovered before B1's replacement for his 5th foul.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

But B1 was only entitled a one and one. How many FT's would he get with the lanes unoccupied? And why is it B1's replacement and not B1 himself?
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 06:03pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
He would only get one shot if he missed the first...

He cannot shoot becsuse he has been disqualified from the game and you can't go back in time to have him shoot the throws.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
But B1 was only entitled a one and one. How many FT's would he get with the lanes unoccupied? And why is it B1's replacement and not B1 himself?
Don't know...was the first attempt good?

I don't have my books with me at work, but I would guess that he/she gets 2 shots if the first shot is successful.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

"THis all remains true even if it were discovered before B1's replacement for his 5th foul."

This is not a correct statement then because B1 instead of B1's replacement would be shooting had this happened before the 5th foul.
Old Tue Mar 04, 2003, 07:36pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
"THis all remains true even if it were discovered before B1's replacement for his 5th foul."

This is not a correct statement then because B1 instead of B1's replacement would be shooting had this happened before the 5th foul.
It is a correct statement. The original situation stated that the refs noticed the error after the "replacement" had come in. Camron points out that this part is irrelevant. Even if the replacement has not yet come in when the error is noticed, the 5th foul has still occurred, and the sub must shoot.

Adam