The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Semifinals of B boy's divisional tourney...notice a player for the favored team looks a little too wrinkled to be a player, but he has warmups on and is going through all the pregame drills with the team. I look in the program, and its their head coach. He completes all the drills, meets with the officials with captains, goes back to the shoot around, then goes into the lockerroom with three minutes left and returns with his suit on to coach. Anyone else seen this before??? Officials kind of laughed at it and let it go. What if the coach had dunked in warmups, would he get a direct and an indirect technical??? Ain't gonna happen, but what a weird deal.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Was he listed in the Scorebook ??? If not, get off court.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Eligibility concerns are not the business of the officials, when it comes to age. However, if it is obvious afterwards that it was the coach, the officials should contact their state association and let them know what happened.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TXMATTHEW05
Probably just would have done the same - laughed and let it go. It's cool that the coach can be on that level with the players. I mean, it's not hurting anybody, giving anybody any advantage/disadvantage, not doing anything. There are for more important things to worry about IMHO.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with APHP

While I have never seen this before, during pregame I am checking the book and counting the players on the floor. If there is an extra, and I want to figure out why. I don't need the extra confusion once we take the floor. I think it is wonderful that the coach still plays with his players, but leave it on the practice floor. Would I run him off? No, but I would ask my association how to handle it.

For Tim C:
Once the refs take the floor, we have game jusridiction. Although it is a stretch, the coach could be seen as being out on the floor unbeckoned. Would I call a "T"? No. But I think that it is improper.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy Unbeckoned during pregame?

No way.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Brad,

I talked with the officials that had the game. They could not come up with anything in the book to prohibit the action. They are writing up a request to the state office to get a clarification. it sounds like they will be writing a rule clarification to submit to the Federation Rules Committee.

We'll see what happens.

Blackhawk
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Didn't happen again

I should have mentioned the head coach in question didn't participate in pregame drills the next evening before the championship game. Did the Miles City boys say why, Tom??
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by APHP
Was he listed in the Scorebook ??? If not, get off court.
And how are you are going to make him?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

No kidding....what's the big deal anyway?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Okay, change the situation. Non-players "warming up" and goofing off with their "home" team, such as varsity players in warm-ups for a JV game, or the "managers" out on the floor during warm-ups shooting and passing, and goofing off. If the players and the coach don't care, should I?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Not sure it's a fair comparison....the situation described initially sounds like it was controlled and organized, albeit unusual (to say the least). As long as it's not making "a travesty of the game", and the other team doesn't mind, I don't see why the officials should step in.

Just a case of not needing to go looking for stuff to call, IMHO.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't talked to them scence the Championship, Brad.
As for why, as rainmaker has pointed out, this is a Pandora's Box. How about, say, a parent of a Senior, or of an injured palyer. I think the rules need to address this so the school adminstrators don't have to. Where does a coach draw the line in allowing non-players to be on the floor? How does game management draw the line on who is on the floor, and the equipment they use?

More thoughts later.

Blackhawk

[Edited by Blackhawk357 on Mar 4th, 2003 at 08:13 AM]
Old Wed Mar 05, 2003, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

The Kabosh is on

Visited with my pool chairman lastnight and mentioned this occurance. Said he'd heard from the state and they put the kabosh on the head coach as soon as they heard from whomever reported it. Explains his new role as a bench coach for the championship game, but still didn't cure him from being a buttache.