The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Folks,

I wanted to thank all of the people who have posted this year. This has been a terrific "graduate level" seminar on basketball rules interpretations, mechanics/positioning, and helpful hints to be better at this profession. Even the "sometimes gruff" commentary has given me grist for thought.

I've gotten into the habit to check the forum 2-3x/week and especially the night before calling games to pick up any tips/tricks.

It is eye-opening to see the variety of rookie officials, experienced officials, coaches, and "returners" to officiating and the things I've learned from each of you. Even learned more about the different levels (Fed, FIBA, NCAA men/women, and NBA). Heaven help those of you who call different leagues

I work full time for a school executive program and have no illusions that I will be able to get out of work early to call HS ball, so have done this as a hobby and to stay in touch with the boys/girls as I work with school principals.

I have to tell you that I have been able to have several constructive conversations with school principals who don't know "the other side" so have done some unofficial missionary work about what they need to be sure to do with their students, coaches, and as part of game management. Unfailingly, they have been appreciative.

Sorry to see this season end, but have filed away numerous tips, hints, humor, and interpretations for next season.

Best news of all (at least from my perspective) is that my son is interested in learning about this great work and may want to call in our association (youth league obviously) which gives this Old Goat another chance to stay close to my son.

Thanks again to all. Y'all are awesome. Keep the faith, folks.
C
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I guess you haven't looked at the "People Skills" thread yet...

I worked some games with my son, it was a blast while it lasted.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree completely. This has been the single biggest help to me that I could imagine. Like having a panel of veterans to query anytime day or night!
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 11:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by NC_rec_ref
Folks,

Sorry to see this season end, but have filed away numerous tips, hints, humor, and interpretations for next season.

Stay tuned. We hafta get through March Madness on the high school and college level, yet.
This ain't over until Duke makes everyone mad again.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2003, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Cool Summer ball?

Am really looking forward to March Madness. But I'm not hanging it up any time soon. I plan to do summer and fall league ball to get ready for the HS season next year. Then there's the camps... Lots o' fun to be had in the off season.