The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 11, 2000, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Question

If a dribbler at the top of the key dribbles from right to left between his legs and as the ball gets to his left hand he hits it 2 times before it hits the floor. Is this an air dribble?

------------------

Allways trying to get better!
Old Fri Aug 11, 2000, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
"Air dribble" Is that in chapter 4?
Old Fri Aug 11, 2000, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joselirizarry:

...he hits it 2 times before it hits the floor.

I've never heard of an "air dribble," but my understanding of the "dribble" rule is that during a dribble the ball, once touched by a player, may not be touched again by the same player's hand(s) BEFORE it strikes the floor. To do so would be a violation of the "dribble" rule.

As I understand it, the scenario you described of the left hand hitting the ball two times before it hits the floor would be a violation.
Old Fri Aug 11, 2000, 03:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

This was discussed in the thread listed below:

"Very minor point, but what the heck - it's summer"

Check this thread for a discussion
Old Sun Aug 13, 2000, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Talking

An air dribble as u called it refers to a player who throws or taps the ball over the head of a defensive player then catches the ball before the ball touches the floor this is progressing with the ball illegaly

quote:
Originally posted by joselirizarry:

If a dribbler at the top of the key dribbles from right to left between his legs and as the ball gets to his left hand he hits it 2 times before it hits the floor. Is this an air dribble?

Old Fri Aug 18, 2000, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

An air dribble is a very old method of dribbling that was allowed. It was disallowed a LONG time ago. It occurred when a player with the ball would bounce the ball off his hand repeatedly while running down the court. At no time would the ball touch the floor. It developed, I believe, out the the rule (at that time) that said a player holding the ball could not run. The normal dribble as we know it was not invented. The only other legal was of advancing the ball was by passing it.
Old Fri Aug 18, 2000, 03:06pm
In Memoriam

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust:
An air dribble is a very old method of dribbling that was allowed. It was disallowed a LONG time ago. It occurred when a player with the ball would bounce the ball off his hand repeatedly while running down the court. At no time would the ball touch the floor. It developed, I believe, out the the rule (at that time) that said a player holding the ball could not run. The normal dribble as we know it was not invented. The only other legal was of advancing the ball was by passing it.

I bet the unforms were different then.
mick

Old Tue Aug 22, 2000, 12:10am
Official Forum Member

In the early years of basketball dribbling was NOT allowed. Had to pass the ball. When I coached CYO I had a half court 3-on-3 drill that allowed only passing to score. You lost possession if you dribbled. I had one of the best passing teams in the league.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2000, 05:01am
Official Forum Member

As long as the ball is in complete control of the dribbler and they haven't touch the ball with to hands and they haven't let the ball come to rest(palming) have they committed a violation. What about the fake pass, where a player who is dribbling fakes throwing a pass and continues to dribble with the same hand. No ball coming to rest occured and no touching of two hands. Is this a violation?
Old Wed Aug 23, 2000, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by hoopsrefBC:
As long as the ball is in complete control of the dribbler and they haven't touch the ball with to hands and they haven't let the ball come to rest(palming) have they committed a violation. What about the fake pass, where a player who is dribbling fakes throwing a pass and continues to dribble with the same hand. No ball coming to rest occured and no touching of two hands. Is this a violation?

Let me be sure I understand the question.

"A1 is dribbling with his/her right hand. A1 fakes a pass with the right hand and then dribbles again. Is that a violation?"

I'd have to see it, but it probably is. I can't picture this happening without the ball "coming to rest" -- don't interpret that phrase too literally when enforcing the rule.
Old Wed Aug 23, 2000, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

yes bob you have it right. i also forgot to add that the dribble process is never stopped.
Old Mon Aug 28, 2000, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins:
Let me be sure I understand the question.

"A1 is dribbling with his/her right hand. A1 fakes a pass with the right hand and then dribbles again. Is that a violation?"

I'd have to see it, but it probably is. I can't picture this happening without the ball "coming to rest" -- don't interpret that phrase too literally when enforcing the rule.

Its a grate move my son dose it all the time and some ref,s call it an illegal dribble.
I think they are worng.
Maybe cause he is my son?
NOT. LOL.

------------------

Allways trying to get better!