The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

A lot of you said what girl would sit there and take that, well she is only in 8th grade. The incident took place everytime we took the ball out on the sideline in front of the bleachers. I never ever saw it and she never spoke to me about it, I had no idea until her mother approaced me later that night. Thank you to the officials that took time and gave me helpful suggestions, to those of you that questioned my question, you give officials a bad name. Once again thanks to those that took time out to answer my question and keep up the good work.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RecRef
[B]
Quote:
Originally posted by CoaachJF
to those of you that questioned my question, you give officials a bad name.
And you would be God not to question you?
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Upon further review...

Quote:
A lot of you said what girl would sit there and take that, well she is only in 8th grade. The incident took place everytime we took the ball out on the sideline in front of the bleachers. I never ever saw it and she never spoke to me about it, I had no idea until her mother approaced me later that night. Thank you to the officials that took time and gave me helpful suggestions, to those of you that questioned my question, you give officials a bad name. Once again thanks to those that took time out to answer my question and keep up the good work.
I just read the original thread and all of the subsequent threads, and cannot figure out how any of those comments gave anyone a bad name.
JMHO, they were handled in a very professional and non-confrontational manner.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 02:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Angry

Of course I questioned it. To say that the girl never said anything because she was in the 8th grade makes no sense to me. Both of my girls were in the 8th grade once (and only once, happily) and if some lecher ever touched them like that during a game (or anywhere else for that matter), they would have turned around and popped him one right in the mush.

We have about ninety 8th grade girls in our rec league and I don't know of a single one who wouldn't have said something. And, if this happened in a game I was working (or even just in attendance) I would have tossed this clown out on his ear.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Mark
I coach 8th girls, and I can tell you that some of them tell you stuff when it happens, some say stuff after a game that shocks me, and sometimes I find stuff out two weeks later. Really depends on the girl, what happened, how they felt like reacting on that day to what happened, etc. I would never make a blanket statement about what my girls would do in this situation - I know some would tell me, but some might not.

Wierd guy though - somebody ougth to look into this anyway.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Hawk's right

I not only ref, but I teach 8th grade girls. Even the ones I think I know, the ones who I have known for four years, will surprise me with what they do and don't tell me. And it can change in a heartbeat too. One day they tell me everything, the next their mom calls me and says, "Natalie would kill me if she knew I told you this. . ." At any rate, you can't make any blanket statements about what they would and would not say or do.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 02:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
A lot of you said what girl would sit there and take that, well she is only in 8th grade. The incident took place everytime we took the ball out on the sideline in front of the bleachers.
I can understand you not noticing it when it happened. I'm assuming you were on the other side of the gym. But I can't imagine the ref not noticing. He/She was definitely too close to the play. I might miss it once, but not if if happened every time the ball was on the sideline.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
A lot of you said what girl would sit there and take that, well she is only in 8th grade. The incident took place everytime we took the ball out on the sideline in front of the bleachers.
I can understand you not noticing it when it happened. I'm assuming you were on the other side of the gym. But I can't imagine the ref not noticing. He/She was definitely too close to the play. I might miss it once, but not if if happened every time the ball was on the sideline.
Not only the ref but the fans on that side. Maybe I live in a dream world but I would think that someone would yell to get your hands off of that girl.