The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   What to do... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7657-what-do.html)

dhodges007 Tue Feb 25, 2003 07:16am

I was doing a game yesterday and after half time, my partner decided to put the ball in play while I was talking to the table. I ran to get into my spot and noticed that the clock wasn't ready to go (still showed 0.0 from the half) as A is driving the lane and shooting the ball, the buzzer goes off repeatedly.... B gets the rebound and I blow my whistle since all of the players are looking around and don't know what to do. What do you do in that situation?

We ended up doing a "do over" and my partner got a good chewing from both coaches and me. We talked about going with the AP arrow and running time off the clock, which would have been B's ball.

Any official rules on this situation?

Thanks!

mplagrow Tue Feb 25, 2003 07:41am

Who was the ref? I assume your partner was since he was putting the ball in play. Ouch. With no time off of the clock and 'repeated buzzers' while A had the ball, I say you did the right thing. What level of play is this? I hope you didn't chew your partner publicly, although I know I would have a hard time biting my tongue!

mick Tue Feb 25, 2003 08:23am

Why were you talking to the table? I hope there was a problem.

I've had a couple partners that go over and socialize without having any bidness to do there. None the less, I await their proper positioning before I administer the ball.

Take care of table stuff early and get to the free throw line.

mick

Rich Tue Feb 25, 2003 08:47am

What table stuff, Mick? The U has one job -- get the ball and bounce it to the R and then get to the free throw line.

Still, the R should always look up at the clock and make sure it has 8:00 (or 20:00, 7:00, 6:00, etc) up there and verify the table is ready before putting it in play.

bob jenkins Tue Feb 25, 2003 08:49am

Quote:

Originally posted by dhodges007
I was doing a game yesterday and after half time, my partner decided to put the ball in play while I was talking to the table. I ran to get into my spot and noticed that the clock wasn't ready to go (still showed 0.0 from the half) as A is driving the lane and shooting the ball, the buzzer goes off repeatedly.... B gets the rebound and I blow my whistle since all of the players are looking around and don't know what to do. What do you do in that situation?

We ended up doing a "do over" and my partner got a good chewing from both coaches and me. We talked about going with the AP arrow and running time off the clock, which would have been B's ball.

Any official rules on this situation?

Thanks!

Do over!? :(

Since B had the ball when the whistle blew, give the ball to B. Don't use the arrow.

If one of the officials ahd a count, use that to reset the clock. Otherwise (and more likely) set the clock to the standard time for that period.

ChuckElias Tue Feb 25, 2003 08:58am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Still, the R should always look up at the clock and make sure it has 8:00 (or 20:00, 7:00, 6:00, etc) up there
Or 16:00, if you work here in MA :)

mick Tue Feb 25, 2003 09:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
What table stuff, Mick? The U has one job -- get the ball and bounce it to the R and then get to the free throw line.

I usually ask U to check with the table to see if the books work, or I ask R if I should check to see if the books work. This puts an offical in a readily available position for the table to ask him something stoopid.

I work with my partner, I don't use him.

dhodges007 Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mplagrow
Who was the ref? I assume your partner was since he was putting the ball in play. Ouch. With no time off of the clock and 'repeated buzzers' while A had the ball, I say you did the right thing. What level of play is this? I hope you didn't chew your partner publicly, although I know I would have a hard time biting my tongue!
He was. And no, I didn't do it publicly.

dhodges007 Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Why were you talking to the table? I hope there was a problem.

I've had a couple partners that go over and socialize without having any bidness to do there. None the less, I await their proper positioning before I administer the ball.

Take care of table stuff early and get to the free throw line.

mick

I was talking about a book issue. And it was a game where we are sitting at the table during half time. Almost like a rec ball game, but it is a charter HS game. He took the ball from the table as he was going over across court.