The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

I disagree a bit with some of the comments as they apply to pre-HS levels. For example, I think saying "with the body" while giving the push signal is good education for the players and coach -- who so often are going nuts because there was a clean block if you only looked from the shoulders up. Similarly, pointing to the elbow b/c that's where the contact was can help tell the coach what's going on.

(None of this excuses "over the back" or "reach," however, as both describe a legal play until and unless illegal contact is made and both expressions "teach" an incaccurate understanding of the rules . . . though I got called for both in the same adult rec league game last week . . . )
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
Angry

I personally like the "not closely guarded" mechanic and use it on all levels. It lets the coaches, players, and fans know the difference of just forgetting to call it or wether or not the requirements of the count are being fufilled. So I have to disagree with that earlier statement.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

I have used some of the above mechanics that people say they never use. I do not use them out of habit. I have used them when the coach is verbally communicating with me. For instance, the closely-guarded or should I say when the player is not closely-guarded instead of either 1) yelling across the floor at the coach 2)ignoring the coach and using the mentality that if I am not counting they are not closely-guarded. Using or saying certains mechanics when you are be questioned by the coach I feel goes a long way with good game management. Using unauthorized mechanics all the time, or saying certain things all the time, makes the difference between good and and better officials.

AK ref SE