The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Recruiting New Officials (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/760-recruiting-new-officials.html)

edsid Sun Aug 13, 2000 10:33am

Our association, like many others, is in need of more officials. The number of incoming officials is far less than the number of those leaving.

We are looking to more aggressively recruit new officials and I would appreciate any suggestions on how this problem has been addressed by other organizations. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

JRutledge Mon Aug 14, 2000 08:22am

You could go to fairs or events that would allow you to set up a booth. Most average people does not have a clue how to become an official. It is a good way also to let the community see what kind of people officiate. My football association did this and it was rather successful, hope this can help you.

Good luck

Tim Roden Mon Aug 14, 2000 11:12am

Something that I heard of people trying in Colorado Springs before I left was a P.E. class in some of the larger HS's in sports officiating. Then have the students in the class work some of the Middle School games. This may not alleaviate all your immediate problems but it does free up your certified officials to call the more important games and it gets new officials addicted to the advocation at a young age.

Mark Padgett Mon Aug 14, 2000 01:38pm

This is a problem not just for basketball officials, but for almost every other sport. Try to establish a relationship with associations of other sports (you probably already have some "cross-sport" people) to make presentations to their group about doing basketball in their "off season".

Another thing to try is doing a large "so you want to be an official" night with other sport associations once a year (late summer is good) to recruit officials for all sports.

Also post on local college job boards in the fall. We are able to get 5-10 new officials a year by doing this. College students are usually available nights and weekends and will consider ref pay as a great part time job. Just be sure you can maintain their independent contractor status when you post.

Brian Watson Mon Aug 14, 2000 04:00pm

My HS for years ( and I assume still does) offers BBall and volleyball officiating as a course for Jr. and Sr.

If you pass the NF Test as a Jr. you can work middle school (since you cannot be licensed until you're out of school). I did this, and quite frankly that was my "part-time job" on HS and College. To this day no one believes this will be my 11th year as a offical becuase I am only 26, but I started when I was 16 working Middle School, boys club, ymca, and aau games.

I can tell you this, working games sure beat flipping burgers (and still does).

edsid Thu Aug 17, 2000 04:08pm

Thanks to all who replied both through this link and to me directly. Your feedback to this post and others is what makes this site a tremendous source of information. Thanks again.

walter Fri Aug 18, 2000 09:24am

One thing that our board does is to set up a table or booth at every playoff game, both boys and girls, as these games often draw the biggest crowds. We also use this tactic at certain "big games" throughout the year. We have also used the posting boards at local colleges and newspaper ads.