The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Free throw missing the rim not a violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/7539-free-throw-missing-rim-not-violation.html)

Back In The Saddle Tue Feb 18, 2003 02:31pm

From way back in the dark recesses of time, I recall that a free throw that doesn't hit the rim is a FT violation.

I cannot find this rule in the current Fed book. Was this removed? If so, was it removed as part of the change from playing the release to playing the rim? If it is still in the book, could you kindly provide me a reference?

rgaudreau Tue Feb 18, 2003 02:52pm

It is a violation.

Don`t have my rulebook handy though...

But in NFHS, players still only play the ball off the rim, and not on the release.

Ren

mj Tue Feb 18, 2003 02:53pm

9-1-3
He/she shall throw within 10 seconds to cause the ball to enter the basket or touch the ring before the free throw ends.

Back In The Saddle Tue Feb 18, 2003 03:08pm

Thank you!

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 18, 2003 03:28pm

Let's get nit-picky

In NF players can release when the ball hits either the rim or backboard. It is possible for the ball to hit the backboard then go through the basket without touching the rim thereby creating a situation where players can release without the ball touching the rim and there is no violation on anyone, including the shooter.

Ridge Wiz Tue Feb 18, 2003 04:20pm

Good clarification Mark P. We had a non-varsity official wave-off a free throw because it did not hit the rim. The ball hit the backboard then it went through the rim without touching any metal. The coach of the team that should've got one point from the shot went ballistic.

That is a perfect example of what happens when a non-player takes rules for EXACTLY the way they are written & not for intent.

Adam Tue Feb 18, 2003 05:46pm

Would that official have called off a perfect shot, too, since it didn't hit the rim? Good grief.

williebfree Tue Feb 18, 2003 05:55pm

HOLY COW!!!! (My WI influence :))

Quote:

Originally posted by Ridge Wiz
...official wave-off a free throw because it did not hit the rim. The ball hit the backboard then it went through the rim without touching any metal.
...That is a perfect example of what happens when a non-player takes rules for EXACTLY the way they are written & not for intent.

I had a partner not long ago that rivaled this rule-smart, common sense short judgement official.

pizanno Tue Feb 18, 2003 06:04pm

uh.."enter the basket". doesn't that apply?

Camron Rust Tue Feb 18, 2003 06:32pm

Re: HOLY COW!!!! (My WI influence :))

Quote:

Originally posted by williebfree
Quote:

Originally posted by Ridge Wiz
...official wave-off a free throw because it did not hit the rim. The ball hit the backboard then it went through the rim without touching any metal.
...That is a perfect example of what happens when a non-player takes rules for EXACTLY the way they are written & not for intent.

I had a partner not long ago that rivaled this rule-smart, common sense short judgement official.

Except that this one doesn't even appear to be rule smart!

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 18, 2003 06:57pm

Did this happen during a game of HORSE, and the guy didn't call bank?

Ridge Wiz Wed Feb 19, 2003 09:14am

The guy was doing a middle school game. He is no longer in our assoc.